News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chicago must hire 111 black firefighters

Started by garbon, May 13, 2011, 04:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on May 15, 2011, 12:39:09 PM
I'm sorry. That was a "yes, I think the CFD put that 89 and above requirement back in the 1995 test because they're racist", right?
I'm sorry.  Did I use words you didn't understand, so you feel you have to write my posts as well as yours?

Tell me what words I used that you didn't comprehend, and we can go from there.  You don't need to write any more posts for me; we will just use what is already here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2011, 03:23:21 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 15, 2011, 12:39:09 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2011, 06:30:22 PM
I'm sorry. That was a "yes, I think the CFD put that 89 and above requirement back in the 1995 test because they're racist", right?
I'm sorry.  Did I use words you didn't understand, so you feel you have to write my posts as well as yours?

Tell me what words I used that you didn't comprehend, and we can go from there.  You don't need to write any more posts for me; we will just use what is already here.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on May 14, 2011, 06:31:52 PM
Quote from: Alcibiades on May 14, 2011, 06:21:24 PM
So uh....why aren't white people that scored between 65-88 eligible for this then?  :yeahright:
I made that point at the top of this page. :contract:
Think there will be a follow-up lawsuit by the other racial/ethnic backgrounds involved in the 64-88 percentile bracket?  I find it odd that there was no evidence that someone who scored a 64% on the exam had as clear of a grasp of the fundamentals and prospered just as well as a firefighter as someone that got an 89% or better.  I might try to read up some more on that aspect of things.  I'm definitely intrigued.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

C.C.R.

Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2011, 04:40:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2011, 04:32:59 PM
WTF kind of hiring process involves "randomly hiring" people?
The kind that is associated with filling jobs that pay above market.  Better for it to be random, rather than based on connections or bribery.

Meh.  In Illinois its not what you know, its who you know.  My gut tells me that this whole gig has more to do with References than Racism, but since there's fuck-all in terms of information describing the hiring criteria actually used beyond test scores I'm just talking out of my ass -- just like everybody else...

:ccr

DGuller

It's not fuck-all, it is claimed that people are picked randomly if their score was above the threshold.