And we're back!

Main Menu

Chicago must hire 111 black firefighters

Started by garbon, May 13, 2011, 04:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 14, 2011, 12:39:28 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 13, 2011, 08:38:10 PM
Man, I'd be really pissed about not getting a cut if I was a white guy who scored between 64-88 on that test. Or over 89 and not randomly selected.
Yeah, this seems like a windfall specifically for black test takers.  It's not like all of them would've been guaranteed a job, only a random selection of them would.  Therefore, the ruling is not just a compensation, it's an over-compensation.  It's actually over-compensation in two ways:  too many black firefighters are getting paid, and they're getting paid like they've done a job, while they didn't.  There are costs to actually going to work as a firefighter, and they didn't incur them.  Terrible, terrible ruling.

It is because early on it was realized that if you want to virtually exclude black people from your workforce, just make the hiring criterea standardized tests as african americans tend to perform poorly. Thus there has been the requirement that you provide evidence that standardized tests reflect future job performance if you are going to use the tests as a critera to select applicants.

If you can't demonstrate this, and you rely on the tests, then you are open to charges of discrimination. Of course the lawsuit is going to award damages that haven't been earned--otherwise the city wouldn't be punished for breaking the rules.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Slargos

Quote from: alfred russel on May 14, 2011, 02:44:32 PM

It is because early on it was realized that if you want to virtually exclude black people from your workforce, just make the hiring criterea standardized tests as african americans tend to perform poorly. Thus there has been the requirement that you provide evidence that standardized tests reflect future job performance if you are going to use the tests as a critera to select applicants.

:bleeding:

And these are the people you want integrated into your great brownish gene pool? :bleeding:

Admiral Yi

Of course the lawsuit is going to award damages that haven't been earned--otherwise the city wouldn't be punished for breaking the rules.

It would be possible to punish the city with an award less than 16 years of full salary.

alfred russel

Quote from: Slargos on May 14, 2011, 02:47:34 PM

And these are the people you want integrated into your great brownish gene pool? :bleeding:

For the first few hundred years after they came here it was illegal to teach them to read and their families were torn apart as they were bought and sold like cattle. Then for another century they were kept in substandard and poorly funded schools, while being denied entry into mainstream society. But clearly the reason they perform poorly on standardized tests is genetic.  :wacko:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on May 14, 2011, 02:54:52 PM
For the first few hundred years after they came here it was illegal to teach them to read and their families were torn apart as they were bought and sold like cattle. Then for another century they were kept in substandard and poorly funded schools, while being denied entry into mainstream society. But clearly the reason they perform poorly on standardized tests is genetic.  :wacko:

Women don't even have those excuses.

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on May 14, 2011, 02:54:52 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 14, 2011, 02:47:34 PM

Those people are probably way too old to be firefighters in the 21st century.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2011, 02:56:54 PM

Do they need them? I wasn't aware they performed poorly (as a group) on standardized tests?

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on May 14, 2011, 03:03:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2011, 02:56:54 PM

Do they need them? I wasn't aware they performed poorly (as a group) on standardized tests?

lol

Admiral Yi

That's my understanding.

The Brain

At a firefighter aptitude test one would surely hope so.

grumbler

I am always suspicious of rationales that can only be expressed in passive voice.  They tend to have been made up, as this one seems to be.  The courts accepted that the prospective firefighters needed to pass the test; no one who failed to pass is getting anything.

QuoteIf you can't demonstrate this, and you rely on the tests, then you are open to charges of discrimination. .
What the city didn't demonstrate was why they changed the hiring threshold from "pass" (64) to 89.  Given that the effect of this was to disproportionately exclude "black" candidates, with no demonstrable improvement in the quality of the resulting hires, this decision (not the decision to use a test) was deemed illegal.

QuoteOf course the lawsuit is going to award damages that haven't been earned--otherwise the city wouldn't be punished for breaking the rules
These are not punitive damages, they are compensatory damages.  White guys who scored better than a 64 should be compensated as well, otherwise the settlement is discriminatory against them because of their "color."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 14, 2011, 03:04:56 PM

That's my understanding.

So a google search on the SAT came up with a USA Today article.

Average score men: 1523
Average score women: 1496

Not a big difference, and 53.5% of test takers are women, so presumably if you expanded the male base to equal the numbers the difference would narrow, if not disappear.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-08-25-SAT-scores_N.htm

Eddie Teach

1500 on the SATs just ain't what it used to be.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2011, 06:46:15 PM
Good luck finding 111 black people that want to run into buildings on fire.  Easier to find 111 for a swim team.

[Slargos mode]Let them steal TVs out of the buildings, or rape white women while they're in there, and they'll set sprint records getting inside.[/Slargos mode]