News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Best Sci-Fi Film Never Made

Started by jamesww, May 11, 2011, 08:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Caliga on May 12, 2011, 05:21:15 PM
Is Gor the series like Conan except it's got spaceships and more sex?

Roughly, yeah, though the space travel in most of them is just there as a way to get the main character to Gor in the first place.

I thought it actually started out OK (keeping in mind that I formed that opinion when I was a teen-ager), but as jamesww pointed out, later on it pretty much dropped any exploration of other ideas in favor of just giving vent to misogyny.

grumbler

Norman is nowhere near the writer Howard was, but his stories are somewhat better-fleshed-out and inter-related (in at least the first five or so books) and the action was not so pulpy.  I do recall long monologues about trivia, so I would argue that the books were quite un-Conan-like and more like Piers Anthony.  Later books (maybe after six or eight) got into pages-long paragraphs, which definitely was not Conan-like.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jamesww

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2011, 05:42:19 PM
Norman is nowhere near the writer Howard was, but his stories are somewhat better-fleshed-out and inter-related (in at least the first five or so books) and the action was not so pulpy. I do recall long monologues about trivia, so I would argue that the books were quite un-Conan-like and more like Piers Anthony.  Later books (maybe after six or eight) got into pages-long paragraphs, which definitely was not Conan-like.

This.

I swear i must have read the detailed explanation of the gorean slave lock in at least every third book.

Scipio

I thought there were two Gor movies.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jamesww

Quote from: Scipio on May 12, 2011, 06:17:46 PM

No, you're thinking of the one made in Money's basement.  :ph34r:

Scipio

Quote from: jamesww on May 12, 2011, 06:51:42 PM
Quote from: Scipio on May 12, 2011, 06:17:46 PM

No, you're thinking of the one made in Money's basement.  :ph34r:
No, I'm right: Gor, and Outlaw of Gor.

Money of Gor was to be the third movie, but I had to spend the budget on Oreos and Crisco (don't ask).
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

I watched some of Outlaw of Gor (MST3K) on YouTube last night.

Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot!

:bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2011, 08:28:08 AM
I watched some of Outlaw of Gor (MST3K) on YouTube last night.

Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot! Cabot!

:bleeding:

:lol: Seriously.  For the first 15 minutes.  At least thanks for helping me find the episode where the Fabio gag was from. :P
Experience bij!

Caliga

At first I thought his nerdy sidekick was Booger from Revenge of the Nerds. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Strix

I am surprised they haven't made the Honor Harrington series into movies. It would have a ton of action and feature a strong female character.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

grumbler

Quote from: Strix on May 13, 2011, 12:31:30 PM
I am surprised they haven't made the Honor Harrington series into movies. It would have a ton of action and feature a strong female character.
They'd rather make remakes of movies which inevitably suck compared to the original.  Yeah, it's a mystery to me as well.  I'd do The Mote in God's Eye first (could get lots of press because it implies that birth control is a good thing and the fundies would take the entire movie as an attack on their various beliefs) but On Basilisk Station second.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

And a Honor Harrington novel being turned into a movie wouldn't have to cut much out, as just dispensing of the pages that deal with explaining "weapon system X" or "societal/political tangent Y" would compress them nicely.  :P

Though a six-legged cat could awkward, special-effects wise.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 14, 2011, 04:06:26 AM
And a Honor Harrington novel being turned into a book wouldn't have to cut much out,

:hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Razgovory

A lot of science fiction wouldn't make very good film.  Good science fiction explores ideas, be they scientific, sociological, or philosophic.  Heinlein's Starship Troopers is excellent example of this.  The novel is mostly concerned with political philosophy while the film is concerned with killing giant bugs (the political stuff is limited to some vaguely fascist militaristic society they all live in).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017