And we're back!

Main Menu

Canada Abortion thread.

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, May 13, 2011, 01:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2011, 11:29:34 AM
:hmm:

Is Canada similar to the US in that people act like the major parties are black and white, but in reality are pretty much the same on the political spectrum... so no matter who gets elected, nothing really changes?  I'm asking honestly as I really don't know much about Canadian politics.

During many elections that has been the case as between the Liberals and Conservatives.  One exception to that was an election held in the 80s over free trade.  That is the only really election I can recall when there were fundamental differences between the two parties.  One is a bit right the other was a bit left but when the win they do so because the occupy most of the middle.

The NDP is a different matter.  Although the NDP supporters here would attempt to say that nothing fundamental would change with the NDP in power they are much further left than the Liberals.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2011, 11:34:17 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 01:35:03 AM
CBC just had a bunch of anti-abortion (kudos to the CBC for not using the disingenuous term "pro-life")  protesters (marching at parliament where there are so many abortions done) who were going on about how this should be on the floor of "Congress" which struck me as odd. why would a Canadian be wanting the issue brought up in the states. Especially when it's actually a provincial mandate.

:lol: Is there a shortage of fundies in Canada so they have to import them or something?

Not really... I think that a lot of the anti abortion crowd is very excitable and like to go to all the rallies they can, like Grateful Dead fans back in tha day. ... damn now I want some acid and a grilled cheese sammich ... :p
:p

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2011, 11:33:48 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2011, 11:32:01 AM
:huh:  Pretty much the same?  Really?
Sure.  The only real differences are over political football issues like abortion and gay marriage.  Both American parties stand for corruption, big spending, and fiscal recklessness AFAICT. :)
I see.  I assumed, erroneously, that you were not just reciting a slogan from Ron Paul tards.

What about issues of regulation, taxation, safety net, and income distribution?

crazy canuck

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 11:38:27 AM
Not really... I think that a lot of the anti abortion crowd is very excitable and like to go to all the rallies they can, like Grateful Dead fans back in tha day. ... damn now I want some acid and a grilled cheese sammich ... :p

Or like WTO protestors.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 11:35:14 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 13, 2011, 11:29:34 AM
:hmm:

Is Canada similar to the US in that people act like the major parties are black and white, but in reality are pretty much the same on the political spectrum... so no matter who gets elected, nothing really changes?  I'm asking honestly as I really don't know much about Canadian politics.

During many elections that has been the case as between the Liberals and Conservatives.  One exception to that was an election held in the 80s over free trade.  That is the only really election I can recall when there were fundamental differences between the two parties.  One is a bit right the other was a bit left but when the win they do so because the occupy most of the middle.

The NDP is a different matter.  Although the NDP supporters here would attempt to say that nothing fundamental would change with the NDP in power they are much further left than the Liberals.

you've heard this before from me, but I think a lot of fundamental things would change with NDP on charge ... that said I don't see it happening anytime soon. People in the boonies whose votes are worth much more than us city folk voters are afeared of Commie Orange

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2011, 11:39:51 AM

Aren't those just details of how to run a system of governing that everyone already agrees upon.  The disagreements in the US, as in Canada, are mainly in the details.  There are few big issues anymore.  Although the US healthcare debate is more transformative in nature. 

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 11:40:09 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 11:38:27 AM

Or like WTO protestors.

Also true. but then that is an International issue the World Trade Organization. Still I bet you couldn't get a decent grilled cheese at that rally either, better chance of scoring some weed though :p

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2011, 11:34:17 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 01:35:03 AM
CBC just had a bunch of anti-abortion (kudos to the CBC for not using the disingenuous term "pro-life")  protesters (marching at parliament where there are so many abortions done) who were going on about how this should be on the floor of "Congress" which struck me as odd. why would a Canadian be wanting the issue brought up in the states. Especially when it's actually a provincial mandate.

:lol: Is there a shortage of fundies in Canada so they have to import them or something?
That is probably the case here. I seem to recall a few years ago a story about american groups holding protests in Ottawa. I don't remember what the issue was though.

crazy canuck

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 11:41:52 AM
People in the boonies whose votes are worth much more than us city folk voters are afeared of Commie Orange

Most people are afraid of commie orange both in cities and in rural ridings. The NDP generally only do well federally in relatively lower income areas of cities and in rural areas that have a high percentage of unionized workers.

Quebec of course is a separate case.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 11:09:08 AM
Two SCC judges just announced their retirement.  We shall see now see if the dreaded hidden agenda fear has any merit.
Surely those judges were conservatives who've been waiting for a conservative majority. There's no change.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on May 13, 2011, 11:39:51 AM
I'm not sure.  I'll have to check with Ron Paul and get back with you. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2011, 11:48:58 AM
Two SCC judges just announced their retirement.  We shall see now see if the dreaded hidden agenda fear has any merit.
Surely those judges were conservatives who've been waiting for a conservative majority. There's no change.

Nope.  We dont have the same phenomenon as you folks have in the US.  Which makes the whole "hidden agenda" concept a bit laughable.

Drakken

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2011, 11:51:56 AM
Nope.  We dont have the same phenomenon as you folks have in the US.  Which makes the whole "hidden agenda" concept a bit laughable.

Not really, especially given that the judges are nominated by the Government, usually from judges well within their party membership, with no oversight from Parliament, compared in the US in which SC judges must be interviewed and approved by the Congress first.

BuddhaRhubarb

Hey CC How many cases actually make it to the Supreme court percentage wise compared to the US. It seems to my barely paying attention brain that the Court here doesn't have to deal with as many big issue cases as they do down south, but maybe they aren't as highly publicized?

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2011, 11:48:58 AM
Why would they wait for a majority?  There's no confirmation process for Canadian judges.  Whoever the PM wants, he is constitutionally obliged to get, so long as 1/3 of the court is from Quebec.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.