News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NDP fantom MP made first public appaerance

Started by viper37, May 12, 2011, 01:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2011, 03:10:53 PM
Didn't you once say that lawyers werent' "rich"...they were "middle class"  ;)?

[Marx]Class is not defined by wealth but in relation to the means of production. Lawyers don't control the means of production, they are merely employed administrators, hence they are middle class.[/Marx]

Ideologue

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2011, 04:39:22 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 12, 2011, 04:18:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2011, 01:31:53 PM
She exists, she speaks, she's a real person.  Wow.   :P

Her French is much better than what we were let to think.  In fact, her father is french-speaking, it's just that she moved to Kingston at a young age and forgot most of it.  She's quickly re-learn the essential, enough to answer most questions adressed to her in a typical franco-ontarian Frenglish.

We now know why she was an absentee MP, it's simply because she was undergoing a profound transformation.

So, last week, Ruth Ellen Brosseau looked like this:

This week:

Amazing what a few thousand dollars more in your bank account and the support of a national political party can do to you.

You mean look exactly the same, except letting her hair revert toward its natural color, and wearing a jacket?  Political handlers are miracle workers.

More than that...one seems professionally shot by a PR agency; the other looks like a myspace grab.

I can buy that.  Although the professionally-shot one is actually a worse photograph, with what may be that awful orange-and-teal color correction and what definitely is ugly lighting.

The only thing that says Myspace about the first is the facial expression and dead-on angle.  Personally, I think it's actually a rather decent photograph.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Jacob on May 12, 2011, 05:18:55 PM
My guess on the new MPs:

Some will say and do horrendously stupid things, but it'll only be noticed by their consituents. A few things will be picked up nationally, though. Some will say and do pretty smart things. In most cases, no one will notice.

A bunch of them will be wiped out next election, as the Quebecois recover from their NDP bender. Nonetheless, while some of the new MPs are chaff and will fall off, a significant number of them will stay in politics (for the NDP or switching, later) turning early experience into a long term asset for their careers and possibly their parties.

But Yakie, that sounds so rational. never happen. :p
:p

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on May 12, 2011, 05:57:31 PM

I can buy that.  Although the professionally-shot one is actually a worse photograph, with what may be that awful orange-and-teal color correction and what definitely is ugly lighting.

The only thing that says Myspace about the first is the facial expression and dead-on angle.  Personally, I think it's actually a rather decent photograph.

I think the second photo is designed to make her look more mature than she really is.  The first one sells her youth and beauty.  That's why we think the first one is better.  Her party wants to send a different message. 

BuddhaRhubarb

The second photo, if you look closely you can see the nose hairs. very professional.
:p

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on May 12, 2011, 01:51:16 PM
I kinda feel sorry for these neophytes. The press is just waiting for them to say stupid stuff, to make fun of them. Being NDP is bad enough for saying stupid stuff, but NDP and in one's early 20s and a political newbie? That's gotta suck.  :lol:

A couple of months back one of the MPs for the newly entered into the Riksdag  party SD managed to make a bit of an error while talking about the costs of the Energy policy and infrastructure upgrades for the EU over the next couple of decades. She said that 400 000 Euro equals 40 000 billion SEK. Of course, this is not really true yet, the number was 4 trillion Euro which more or less equals 40 trillion SEK.

However, what the media and people in general MOSTLY latched onto was "LOL 40 000 billion SEK! That number is so big it doesn't exist! LOL she's stupid!"

Sadly, they're still going on about how stupid she is for thinking such a big number could be real.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

I'm happy that for once we're giving the MP salary & possible pention to people that actually can use the money instead of already rich lawyers & business man.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2011, 02:44:08 PM
To be fair, bar maid-ing was putting her through school and probably wasn't intended to be a full time career.   
Do  Canucks generally use the term "bar maid-ing" instead of "bar tending" when the bartender is female?  Just curious, no insults intended.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2011, 06:27:00 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2011, 02:44:08 PM
To be fair, bar maid-ing was putting her through school and probably wasn't intended to be a full time career.   
Do  Canucks generally use the term "bar maid-ing" instead of "bar tending" when the bartender is female?  Just curious, no insults intended.

No. I used it merely to exaggerate the point. Someone called her a "bar maid", really we just say waitress or bar tender.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on May 13, 2011, 01:27:31 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 12, 2011, 05:18:55 PM
My guess on the new MPs:

Some will say and do horrendously stupid things, but it'll only be noticed by their consituents. A few things will be picked up nationally, though. Some will say and do pretty smart things. In most cases, no one will notice.

A bunch of them will be wiped out next election, as the Quebecois recover from their NDP bender. Nonetheless, while some of the new MPs are chaff and will fall off, a significant number of them will stay in politics (for the NDP or switching, later) turning early experience into a long term asset for their careers and possibly their parties.

But Yakie, that sounds so rational. never happen. :p

Yeah.

This is the NDP we're talking about.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius