Main Menu

NDP fantom MP made first public appaerance

Started by viper37, May 12, 2011, 01:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on May 12, 2011, 03:06:39 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2011, 02:44:08 PM
There's no where that says being a rich lawyer is a requirement of being a politician. Thank God.
I'm with you on that. Lawyers are over-represented in politics. Although that is  less so in Canada than here, I think.

:(

Rich lawyers need representation, too.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 12, 2011, 03:07:49 PM
To be fair, bar maid-ing was putting her through school and probably wasn't intended to be a full time career.   There's no where that says being a rich lawyer is a requirement of being a politician. Thank God.

The fact that she seemingly has learned conversational French in a week bodes well on her intelligence, I'd say.

I wonder what the odds are that she:

1. Won't say anything much at all;

2. Will say stuff, and make a fool of herself; or

3. Will say stuff demonstrating a brilliant political insight? 

;)

I go with number one. She's  a backbencher of the opposition party in a majority gov't. No need to say much at all except "no" which almost sounds the same in French.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

The fact that she seemingly has learned conversational French in a week bodes well on her intelligence, I'd say.
Her father is Franco-Ontarian and they were living in Ottawa up to ther teen years, from wich point she moved to Kingston with her family.  Anywhere outside of Ottawa is kinda real tough for francos.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 12, 2011, 03:08:51 PM
There's no where that says being a rich lawyer is a requirement of being a politician. Thank God.
I'm with you on that. Lawyers are over-represented in politics. Although that is  less so in Canada than here, I think.

Didn't you once say that lawyers werent' "rich"...they were "middle class"  ;)?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 12, 2011, 03:07:49 PM
To be fair, bar maid-ing was putting her through school and probably wasn't intended to be a full time career.   There's no where that says being a rich lawyer is a requirement of being a politician. Thank God.

I wonder what the odds are that she:

1. Won't say anything much at all;

2. Will say stuff, and make a fool of herself; or

3. Will say stuff demonstrating a brilliant political insight? 

;)
#4 We don't care, she's cute. ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on May 12, 2011, 03:10:53 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 12, 2011, 03:08:51 PM

Didn't you once say that lawyers werent' "rich"...they were "middle class"  ;)?

Depends on the lawyer. Most aren't "rich" by any stretch.

In general, being a lawyer can be a stepping-stone to riches ... but the truly rich ones aren't working for billable hours.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2011, 03:11:50 PM

So, it's not what comes out of her mouth but what you guys dream of putting in there that is significant?

:D

viper37

jamesww

I vote, cut her some slack.

Young people need more representation in politics and this is what they got.

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2011, 01:31:53 PM
She exists, she speaks, she's a real person.  Wow.   :P

Her French is much better than what we were let to think.  In fact, her father is french-speaking, it's just that she moved to Kingston at a young age and forgot most of it.  She's quickly re-learn the essential, enough to answer most questions adressed to her in a typical franco-ontarian Frenglish.

We now know why she was an absentee MP, it's simply because she was undergoing a profound transformation.

So, last week, Ruth Ellen Brosseau looked like this:

This week:

Amazing what a few thousand dollars more in your bank account and the support of a national political party can do to you.

You mean look exactly the same, except letting her hair revert toward its natural color, and wearing a jacket?  Political handlers are miracle workers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 12, 2011, 03:14:33 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2011, 03:11:50 PM

So, it's not what comes out of her mouth but what you guys dream of putting in there that is significant?

:D

Erm..........what Viper said.

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on May 12, 2011, 04:18:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 12, 2011, 01:31:53 PM
She exists, she speaks, she's a real person.  Wow.   :P

Her French is much better than what we were let to think.  In fact, her father is french-speaking, it's just that she moved to Kingston at a young age and forgot most of it.  She's quickly re-learn the essential, enough to answer most questions adressed to her in a typical franco-ontarian Frenglish.

We now know why she was an absentee MP, it's simply because she was undergoing a profound transformation.

So, last week, Ruth Ellen Brosseau looked like this:

This week:

Amazing what a few thousand dollars more in your bank account and the support of a national political party can do to you.

You mean look exactly the same, except letting her hair revert toward its natural color, and wearing a jacket?  Political handlers are miracle workers.

More than that...one seems professionally shot by a PR agency; the other looks like a myspace grab.

Jacob

My guess on the new MPs:

Some will say and do horrendously stupid things, but it'll only be noticed by their consituents. A few things will be picked up nationally, though. Some will say and do pretty smart things. In most cases, no one will notice.

A bunch of them will be wiped out next election, as the Quebecois recover from their NDP bender. Nonetheless, while some of the new MPs are chaff and will fall off, a significant number of them will stay in politics (for the NDP or switching, later) turning early experience into a long term asset for their careers and possibly their parties.