And we're back!

Main Menu

The Best Sci-Fi Film Never Made

Started by jamesww, May 11, 2011, 08:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesww

Use of Weapons declared best sci-fi film never made

11th May 2011

Our poll to name the best sci-fi film never made has returned Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks as the book Reg readers would most like to see projected on the silver screen.

The 50 candidates attracted a whopping 27,088 votes, with the winner securing 10,032. Runner-up was Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's The Mote In God's Eye, which was honoured with 7,099 votes. You can see the full results right here.

So, Hollywood take note: scrap plans to "reimagine" Total Recall and get down to making something original.

I haven't personally read Use of Weapons, so I'll leave it to you lot to suggest how it might best be brought to the big screen. If we get some decent casting/directorial suggestions, we'll look into knocking up a poster to celebrate the movie which is yet to be. ®

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/11/sci_fi_poll/

Poll results here:
http://forms.theregister.co.uk/poll/?id=28

The best sci-fi film never made

Use of Weapons 37% (10032)

The Mote In God's Eye 26% (7099)

Foundation 3% (682)

Neuromancer 2% (623)

The Stainless Steel Rat 2% (610)

Ender's Game 2% (581)

Rendezvous With Rama 2% (538)

Ringworld 2% (478)

Snow Crash 2% (436)

Consider Phlebas 1% (356)

Altered Carbon 1% (298)

Excession 1% (288)

Night's Dawn 1% (279)

The Player of Games 1% (279)

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress 1% (260)

The Forever War 1% (248)

Stranger in a Strange Land 1% (232)

Dragonriders of Pern 1% (223)

Hyperion 1% (210)

The Atrocity Archives 1% (196)

Cryptonomicon 1% (193)

The Stars My Destination 1% (193)

The Chronicles of Amber 1% (189)

Eon 1% (184)

Lensmen 1% (178)

On Basilisk Station 1% (169)

The Algebraist 1% (142)

Childhood's End 1% (137)

The Man in the High Castle 0% (129)

Footfall 0% (128)

A Fire Upon the Deep 0% (106)

The City and the Stars 0% (105)

Lord of Light 0% (103)

A Canticle for Leibowitz 0% (95)

The Gap Cycle 0% (91)

Titan 0% (90)

Old Man's War 0% (87)

Gateway 0% (78)

Protector 0% (74)

Deathworld 0% (72)

The Baroque Cycle 0% (70)

Lucifer's Hammer 0% (67)

Downbelow Station 0% (65)

The Forge of God 0% (64)

The Legacy of Heorot 0% (61)

The Demolished Man 0% (58)

Cities in Flight 0% (57)

The Technicolor Time Machine 0% (57)

Skylark 0% (50)

Dorsai 0% (48)
Total votes cast - 27088.

Caliga

The Mote In God's Eye would potentially make a fantastic movie. :cool:

I love Foundation and its sequels, but it seems like much too large a story to make into a movie unless you planned like a 12 movie franchise.  If they tried to condense multiple books into one movie, it would probably suck.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza2

I think The Player of Games would be more suitable for a film if you want to pick something by Banks.

Josquius

Neuromancer would be a good film, the bad writing wouldn't show through on the screen.
Shame the retro 80sness wouldn't sell.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on May 11, 2011, 08:40:59 AM
Neuromancer would be a good film, the bad writing wouldn't show through on the screen.
Unfortunately a Neuromancer movie would be compared to The Matrix ad nauseum.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

I'd love to see Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle filmed ... but they are not really "science fiction".  :huh:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Otherland.

But they're making a game of it so perhaps that will be enough.

garbon

Quote from: Slargos on May 11, 2011, 10:06:09 AM
Otherland.

:x

That series pissed me off so much. I like reading the books but the ending was such a let down.  Actually I don't even remember the ending but I remember how much it pissed me off. :angry: :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

They should all be directed by Peter Jackson.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PRC

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 11, 2011, 08:16:49 AM
I think The Player of Games would be more suitable for a film if you want to pick something by Banks.

Totally agree!

Syt

Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2011, 10:55:55 AM
I like reading the books but the ending was such a let down.

I haven't read Otherland, but I read his "Memory, Sorry and Thorn" series and felt the same about them. I found it hard to make it through the final 100 pages or so.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on May 11, 2011, 08:12:21 AM

Best.  Aliens.  Ever.  Pat would like it.  Very Malthusy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2011, 10:55:55 AM
Quote from: Slargos on May 11, 2011, 10:06:09 AM
Otherland.

:x

That series pissed me off so much. I like reading the books but the ending was such a let down.  Actually I don't even remember the ending but I remember how much it pissed me off. :angry: :blush:

The story is fan-fucking-tastic but I can agree that it didn't have a spectacular ending.

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on May 11, 2011, 11:56:50 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 11, 2011, 08:12:21 AM

Best.  Aliens.  Ever.  Pat would like it.  Very Malthusy.

Oh, and when I mean "Malthusy" I mean it in a Pat way which is to say the word is devoid of any real meaning.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

While Ringworld would be cool for effects, it would be difficult to turn the story into an exciting popcorn film without wrecking it.

Alert Michael Bay!
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.