And we're back!

Main Menu

[gay] Presbyterian clergy can now be gay

Started by Caliga, May 11, 2011, 06:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on May 11, 2011, 10:07:18 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2011, 09:57:49 AM
I've heard this twice now, and for some it is true, but increasingly people *do* "shop" for a religion here - partly, it's a result of high levels of intermarriage between folks of different denominations. It is increasingly unusual for any but the most traditional to specifically refuse to date someone who is not (say) Presbyterian.

When two people of different faiths marry, the question of choice arises.

Probably wouldn't be very wise to say: No, honey, I won't join your faith, it's out of touch with the modern world. :P

Why not? I did.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2011, 08:35:22 AM
If your religion is split over whether to admit folks who are gay, one has to wonder at one's choice of religion in the first place ...  :lol:

There's a difference between admitting & ordaining.  Most (all?) mainstream denominations in the US will let you attend worship service if you're gay.  Most will also allow you to become/remain as a church member if you're gay.  Only a few (for now) allow openly gay clergy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2011, 10:19:23 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2011, 08:35:22 AM
If your religion is split over whether to admit folks who are gay, one has to wonder at one's choice of religion in the first place ...  :lol:

There's a difference between admitting & ordaining.  Most (all?) mainstream denominations in the US will let you attend worship service if you're gay.  Most will also allow you to become/remain as a church member if you're gay.  Only a few (for now) allow openly gay clergy.

They may be "admitting" gays in congregations - but clearly, not as equal members, since they are not allowed to lead conregations if they are open about it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2011, 10:09:00 AM
Same. :cool:

Princesca had pretty much left Christianity, with a few brief periods of relapse, when we started dating though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2011, 10:27:30 AM
They may be "admitting" gays in congregations - but clearly, not as equal members, since they are not allowed to lead conregations if they are open about it.

That's inequality only for the tiny number of gay church members who want to be clergy.  Pretty insignificant IMO.  Besides, most churches still at least officially view homosexuality as sinful, so it would be hypocritical to have an openly gay person lead the congregation.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

Quote from: Caliga on May 11, 2011, 10:35:25 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2011, 10:09:00 AM
Same. :cool:

Princesca had pretty much left Christianity, with a few brief periods of relapse, when we started dating though.

Since the release of the Gospel of Judas, I've revived my faith.  ;)

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2011, 12:07:33 PM
so it would be hypocritical

Like mainstream religions have ever cared about that. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

Re:  the shopping for a faith point

I haven't been to a church in several years, but I do know that in Catholicism (as it was cited as an example), there are also liberal churches where parishoners (especially the younger ones) pretty much ignore / disagree with Church teachings on birth control, the priesthood, gays, etc.  While they do hope for change, a lot of them simply can't or won't leave the faith due to upbringing, family, friends, bona fide beliefs, etc.  I imagine the same holds true for any number of faiths.

Though obviously nowadays it's way easier to break with your faith and find a new one (or not) than it's ever been before.  It's just for many folks, it's not always quite that easy, and staying within your faith but rejecting this or that teaching can often be the preferred way to go.

Martinus

I think it is also different in the US/Canada, compared to Europe. Here there is much less of a "religion shopping" thing.

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2011, 08:47:11 AM
That it's a no-brainer - a religion which refuses to join the modern world, and whose members seriously agonize over such medieval nonsense, isn't worth much as an organization.
That's a no-brainer - a religion which refuses to join the modern world, and whose members seriously believe in medieval nonsense like invisible superfriends and miraculous events, isn't worth much as an organization.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2011, 02:24:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 11, 2011, 08:47:11 AM
That it's a no-brainer - a religion which refuses to join the modern world, and whose members seriously agonize over such medieval nonsense, isn't worth much as an organization.
That's a no-brainer - a religion which refuses to join the modern world, and whose members seriously believe in medieval nonsense like invisible superfriends and miraculous events, isn't worth much as an organization.

Too predictable.  :D

DontSayBanana

The article talks about PCUSA, and I gotta say, that's grossly overstating the unity of Presbyterian churches- even when I was still attending (and that's going back at least 10 years), the presbytery of the PCUSA mostly just represented the moderates within the denomination; the Presbyterian Church of America is more liberal, and PCA has been allowing homosexual clergy for a while now (actually knew a lesbian pastor in the PCA back in the '90s), while the Orthodox Presbyterian Church is much more conservative, and has been known to excommunicate homosexuals who won't "repent."
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 11, 2011, 03:51:21 PM
while the Orthodox Presbyterian Church is much more conservative, and has been known to excommunicate homosexuals who won't "repent."

I'm guessing this is the type of Presbyterian church my uncle (the Syrian dude) belongs to. 

FWIW, I've known of some obvious lesbian ministers in the United Methodist Church-- seems like some UMC districts take a DADT approach toward their clergy.   

Personally, I'd have a hard time taking any female minister seriously, lesbian or not.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 11, 2011, 03:51:21 PM
The article talks about PCUSA, and I gotta say, that's grossly overstating the unity of Presbyterian churches- even when I was still attending (and that's going back at least 10 years), the presbytery of the PCUSA mostly just represented the moderates within the denomination; the Presbyterian Church in America is more liberal, and PCA has been allowing homosexual clergy for a while now (actually knew a lesbian pastor in the PCA back in the '90s), while the Orthodox Presbyterian Church is much more conservative, and has been known to excommunicate homosexuals who won't "repent."

The PCUSA is the most liberal of the three.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?