News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[gay] Presbyterian clergy can now be gay

Started by Caliga, May 11, 2011, 06:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2011, 04:26:10 PM
I'm guessing this is the type of Presbyterian church my uncle (the Syrian dude) belongs to. 

FWIW, I've known of some obvious lesbian ministers in the United Methodist Church-- seems like some UMC districts take a DADT approach toward their clergy.   

Personally, I'd have a hard time taking any female minister seriously, lesbian or not.
When I was a kid our UMC church had an obviously (but not officially outed) lesbian Associate Pastor.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

QuoteThe move does away with the constitutional requirement for clergy to live "in fidelity within the covenant of marriage between a man and a woman, or chastity in singleness."

This is one of those times when gay rights moves things forward for everybody.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 11, 2011, 04:32:04 PM
The PCUSA is the most liberal of the three.

Not across the board.  Also, there's less of a gap between the PCA and the PCUSA as between either and the OPC.  Of course, the OPC are wingnuts, IMO (they're almost single-handedly the reason I consider myself a "lapsed" Christian- too many bad experiences to list in this post, really).

EDIT: I should also mention there's some bias- after becoming disillusioned with the OPC, we tried a PCUSA church and had a really bad experience in a hyper-conservative congregation, which was about when I called it quits.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

We went to PCA churches throughout my childhood, they were all extremely conservative. They'd pass out AFA flyers and the like.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?