News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

March Madness 2009

Started by derspiess, March 11, 2009, 10:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 24, 2009, 12:30:37 PM
That is what is great about the Tourney.  You always get these teams that nobody knows about playing well with the big teams.  I think that says more about how well Siena was playing then how poorly their opposition played.

Less so the last two years.  The power teams are realy beating down the little guys recently.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Once again we're short changing visitors on the Detroit experience.  :(

QuoteDetroit gussies up before Final Four
Though city's trying to mask blight, business owners, residents want bigger cleanup effort.
Francis X. Donnelly / The Detroit News
DETROIT -- When the city hosts college basketball's premier championship in two weeks, some downtown blemishes will be covered up.

Eyesores will be hidden behind mesh fences. The windows of vacant buildings will be decorated with displays. The homeless will be lured to shelters.

But residents and businesses want the city to go further in preparing for the slew of fans and media from around the country.

They would like to see a repeat of the Herculean effort that preceded the Super Bowl in 2006. The $12 million redevelopment project beautified three major streets, repaired building facades and spurred the opening of new condos, shops and restaurants.

"There's a lot that can be done," said Willye Simmons, 46, a carpenter who lives downtown. "We have too many buildings that need to be torn down."

For the Final Four basketball series, the city's goals are much more modest: replacing street lights, filling potholes, cleaning buildings and picking up trash.

The crippled economy has left both public and private coffers with less money than organizers would like for gussying up the city, they said. It has limited the amount of money local companies can donate for the event.

"We've had to make some adjustments downward because of the economy," said Bill Ryan, executive director of the Detroit Local Organizing Committee.

Still, Detroit wants to put its best face forward when all those visitors descend upon the city. And part of that will be showing its good side and hiding the bad.

Food left over from all the tournament-related parties will be donated to homeless shelters, Ryan said.

That way, the parties can help the dispossessed and give them an incentive not to bother visitors, he said.

Other eyesores, such as the site of the razed Statler Hotel on Grand Circus Park, will be surrounded by high mesh fences decorated with the images of Detroit landmarks.

Ann Lang, president of the Downtown Detroit Partnership, said she wasn't sure how many sites would be covered by the fences. But the number would be less than 20, she said.

"So people can look at that (Detroit landmark images) rather than an unattractive construction site," she said.

Woodward Avenue downtown is festooned by vacant buildings but some of the emptiness will be alleviated with festive window displays, officials said.

The 25 empty storefronts will feature displays that have been concocted by architects and interior designers consulted by the downtown agency,
said Kate Beebe, an economic development consultant working with the agency.

Beebe wasn't sure what the displays will show. The material is being donated by local vendors.

"It's something interesting and attractive to look at and will enliven the whole street," she said.

The safety of all those visitors is paramount to event organizers so a major part of the preparation involves the repairing of street lights.

Six months ago, organizers identified the spots where visitors most likely would gather and inventoried every street light that wasn't working in those areas, said Ryan, the organizing committee director.

He said he was satisfied with the progress of all the preparation.

"It's a pretty significant effort," he said. "We think we're on track."

As for the sprucing up, the downtown agency will be bringing out their cleanup crews a little earlier this year, said Lang. The 60 workers travel throughout downtown, sweeping streets and power-washing buildings.

Also, Goodwill workers will be picking up litter along many streets, she said.

Because of the tight budget, state and city transportation departments will be helping the cleanup effort by using their own workers to pick up trash on local streets.

In other preparations, the city will be mending downtown streets and sidewalks, said George Jackson, president of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp.

The work is mundane maintenance that won't be visible to visitors but is important to the impression the city has on them, he said.

"It's not as grand a plan as the Super Bowl but definitely gives us a chance to do some sprucing up," he said.

Several temporary shops and eateries will pop up downtown just before the Final Four, just as they had before the Super Bowl.

Local residents would like to see such businesses become permanent.

"We need more businesses, more restaurants, more places to go," said resident Renee Flowers.

Well lit, clean streets, hidden eyesores, homeless people not bothering visitors, concern about the safety of others and shops and eateries just are not Detroit.  It's like we're lying to people.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Xavier vs. Pitt was a good game. I'm surprised Pitt pulled it out. The way they'd been playing had me expecting a choke.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Huskies look pretty damn tough unless you foul out the tree in the middle.

Berkut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlfnRsr6hU4

Destiny!

OK....probably not. Still a nicely done little clip.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Wow, Missouri is up 17! Definitely didn't expect this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2009, 10:13:28 PM

I did.  Memphis is way over-rated thanks to their weak league and Missouri is strong.  I thought Missouri had a real good chance to rock them.  After all the Tigers won the Big XII tourney and were red hot.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2009, 11:10:22 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2009, 10:13:28 PM

I did.  Memphis is way over-rated thanks to their weak league and Missouri is strong.  I thought Missouri had a real good chance to rock them.  After all the Tigers won the Big XII tourney and were red hot.
They went to the Championship game last year.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

And three Big East teams into the elite 8.

Syracuse and Louisville will probably join them tommorow.

Benedict Arnold

God I love watching Duke lose.  Dick Vitale is crying himself to sleep once again.

Grey Fox

If I cared more about Basketball, I'd be all over Villanova's bandwagon right about now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2009, 11:12:12 PM
They went to the Championship game last year.

And all the best players from that team left last year also.

Valmy

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 27, 2009, 02:13:30 AM
God I love watching Duke lose.  Dick Vitale is crying himself to sleep once again.

That was pretty sweet.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 27, 2009, 02:13:30 AM

My darkhorse is really coming through for me.   I thought they would beat Duke but I didnt think they would make Duke look that bad.