March Madness 2009

Started by derspiess, March 11, 2009, 10:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 19, 2009, 03:24:22 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 19, 2009, 10:24:42 AM
Barack-etology
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3992869

What a gutless bracket! I've given him the benefit of the doubt until now, but this seals it. I hereby withdraw my support.

It's not about guts, it's about how hot their cheeleaders are.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Cleveland St. beat Wake!  ???
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Benedict Arnold

Suck it Ed Anger/Monkeybutt/Cindy Brady!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 20, 2009, 11:23:10 PM
Suck it Ed Anger/Monkeybutt/Cindy Brady!

What am I supposed to suck? If it is over the Ohio State University losing, meh. I follow Wright State basketball son, and have since Bobby knight was unfairly demonized and fired in Indiana.

You people really need to pay attention to who I like in each sport.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Brackets busted, teams losing, need to eat my way back to mental health...

I am thinking of deep-fried twinkies.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

How in the world is UCLA, East?

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 21, 2009, 12:16:57 PM
How in the world is UCLA, East?
It isn't.  It is in California.

The brackets, and thus where the games are played, isn't based on where the schools are located.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

So this is no different then football & makes no damn sense.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 21, 2009, 12:24:16 PM
So this is no different then football & makes no damn sense.
I have no idea what the first phrase means (there is no tournament in NCAA Div 1A football) and the placement of teams in divisions makes perfect sense, given the desire to avoid rematches of conference games.  The Big East, for instance, produced three of the top four teams in the tourney.   If you were to arbitrarily assign them all to the East Region, then they would be ranked 1-3 there (and less deserving teams would get a #1 ranking in the other regions) and the battles between them would be repeats of games they had recently played.

Teams are seeded by how well they perform, opponents beaten, styrength of schedule, and whatnot, and then the highest seeds get the most desriable berths, working down until the #64 team plays the top-seeded team.  By definition, this cannot work unless you ignore the physical locations of the schools 9except to give the better-seeded team a berth closer to home when possible, like North Carolina getting the #1 seed in the South rather than, say, the West).  The idea is to make the games get increasingly more competitive and exciting, so they don't want two of the best (perceived) four teams eliminated until the Final Four - which they would have if they were to "make sense" in the GF universe.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Okay, it makes more sense then the BCS.

Why is it named East/West/Midwest/South, if it has nothing to do with that?

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 21, 2009, 02:51:56 PM
Okay, it makes more sense then the BCS. 
Anything makes mjore sense than the BCS!  :D

QuoteWhy is it named East/West/Midwest/South, if it has nothing to do with that?
That is where the games are played.

Midwest Regional – Indianapolis, Indiana
West Regional - Glendale, Arizona
East Regional – Boston, Massachusetts
South Regional – Memphis, Tennessee

The Final Four will be in Detroit, if the city is still standing by then.

Bayraktar!

Benedict Arnold

This year's games are actually taking place at the following locations Grumbler:

Greensboro, NC (Greensboro Coliseum)
Kansas City, MO (Sprint Center)
Philadelphia, PA (Wachovia Center)
Portland, OR (Rose Garden)

PDH

Everybody knows that the four regions are, in reality:

The East
The East
The Kinda East
The Eastern teams that have to go west to play
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 21, 2009, 03:22:26 PM
This year's games are actually taking place at the following locations Grumbler:

Greensboro, NC (Greensboro Coliseum)
Kansas City, MO (Sprint Center)
Philadelphia, PA (Wachovia Center)
Portland, OR (Rose Garden)
Nope, those are just the first and second rounds.  The regionals take place at the cities I mentioned.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

I fear the Timmay effect is alive and well. When I entered the local sports bar yesterday, Pitt was only up 3 with 3 minutes left. Upon my arrival however, Pitt quickly pulled ahead.  :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point