News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

March Madness 2009

Started by derspiess, March 11, 2009, 10:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Izzo's been to the final 4 five times at MSU. Do you really think he could replicate that kind of success anywhere else?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Savonarola

Quoteauthor=Berkut link=topic=51.msg10378#msg10378
Because it is Arizona, and absent about 4 other programs, it is still head and shoulders above any other program in the country as far as prestige and consistent winning is concerned. Who wouldn't want to take over where Lute has left off?

That being said, I don't really think Izzo is itching to leave MSU. But we would love to have him...I wonder what State is paying him?

Of course, Kentucky just blew the doors off of coaches compensation in the NCAA.

He's a state employee so his salary is a matter of public record.  He has base salary is $320,000 and he gets a yearly bonus of around $1,000,000 and he has a $4,000,000 bonus if he stays until 2010.  Our governor gets paid $170,000; but, to be fair, he's had at least ten times better of a year than she has.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 30, 2009, 09:52:23 PM
Izzo's been to the final 4 five times at MSU. Do you really think he could replicate that kind of success anywhere else?

There certainly isn't anything about MSU that makes it more likely for him to get to a Final Four than some other real school. Like Arizona.

Short answer: Yes.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 12:39:04 AM
There certainly isn't anything about MSU that makes it more likely for him to get to a Final Four than some other real school. Like Arizona.

Michigan has a better in-state recruiting pool than Arizona.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2009, 02:32:34 AM
Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 12:39:04 AM

Michigan has a better in-state recruiting pool than Arizona.

Top notch programs do not rely on in state recruiting though.

And if Michigan is in fact better than Arizona in regards to number of blue chips in state, it is a trivial difference.

Being close to Southern California (or Chicago) is much more relevant.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 08:27:31 AM

And if Michigan is in fact better than Arizona in regards to number of blue chips in state, it is a trivial difference.

I can think of very few programs that don't get *some* edge from local recruiting.  Duke.  Maybe Notre Dame.

You really think the difference between Michigan blue chips and Arizona blue chips is trivial? I'm no encyclopedia when it comes to either the college or pro games (as was amply demonstrated by my pool performance) but off the top of my head Michigan produced the Fab Five and Magic Johnson.  Who has Arizona produced?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2009, 03:22:14 PM
You really think the difference between Michigan blue chips and Arizona blue chips is trivial? I'm no encyclopedia when it comes to either the college or pro games (as was amply demonstrated by my pool performance) but off the top of my head Michigan produced the Fab Five and Magic Johnson.  Who has Arizona produced?

Howard was from Chicago, King was from Indiana, and Ray Jackson was from Austin, Texas baby!

Naturally the Austinite was the worst of the five.  Austinites cannot play sports.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2009, 03:22:14 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 08:27:31 AM

I can think of very few programs that don't get *some* edge from local recruiting.  Duke.  Maybe Notre Dame.

Wait - what are we talking about here?

Players that came out of the school or went to school, or players that came out of the state?

Because only two of the Fab Five were born in Michigan.

And what does that have to do with anything anyway? Michigan State is not wining because some great players came out of Michigan 20 years ago.

Like I said, all elite basketball schools recruit regionally, if not nationally. Arizona seems to do just fine not having a Detroit in state to pull talent from.

Certainly I've never heard of it being a significant variable when it comes to where coaches want to coach at, unless it is somewhere REALLY bad like Hawaii or something.

0 rows returned

katmai

It's okay folks Berkie is just going through LO withdrawl and denial that the program is going back to pre Lute Levels.

:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 03:33:26 PM

How many of Arizona's 1997 team were from Arizona?  I am thinking...zero?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2009, 03:36:59 PM

Well Bibby went to HS in Phoenix, Dickerson and Terry were from Western Washington, Bramlett from Illinois. Miles Simon no idea.

katmai

Simon went to School in SO Cal.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2009, 03:36:59 PM

None that I am aware of - but then, I am not the one claiming that in-state recruiting is key to success.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on March 31, 2009, 03:55:50 PM
None that I am aware of - but then, I am not the one claiming that in-state recruiting is key to success.
Neither am I Throbama.

I said that it gives an edge.