News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

March Madness 2009

Started by derspiess, March 11, 2009, 10:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

From Andy Katz @ ESPN

QuoteArizona's interest in hiring Tim Floyd to replace Russ Pennell/Lute Olson isn't strange on the surface. Floyd has proved to be an excellent game coach over the years and knows athletic director Jim Livengood from decades ago when Floyd was at Idaho and Livengood was next door at Washington State. But there are a few interesting aspects to this:

Does Livengood have information on the ongoing NCAA investigation into USC that centers around former Trojan O.J. Mayo? The investigation isn't closed, as the enforcement staff continues to attempt to interview Mayo. According to multiple sources, Livengood wouldn't be privy to information on this case since it doesn't involve him.

So how concerned is Livengood with hiring a coach whose current program is under investigation while Arizona has a letter of inquiry dealing with a potential rules violation in connection to an on-campus high school hoop event in the spring?

Indiana got burned when it hired Kelvin Sampson from Oklahoma despite an NCAA investigation into the Sooners. Would the same thing happen to Arizona?

On Floyd's side, if there is more money at Arizona -- and because Arizona is more of a basketball school than USC -- the move might make sense. But Arizona is expected to be gutted and face an Indiana-like rebuilding situation. USC, even if DeMar DeRozan and/or Taj Gibson were to declare for the NBA draft, has more talent and continues to win at a high level.

So if you're Floyd, why go and start over?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

I am not sure why Katz has such a consistent hard-on for Arizona.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

So Berk, hearing now that Floyd said thanks but no thanks, and coaches  at top of list were Capel, Miller from Xavier and Nevada's Mark Fox.

Berkut

Quote from: katmai on April 02, 2009, 05:32:10 PM
So Berk, hearing now that Floyd said thanks but no thanks, and coaches  at top of list were Capel, Miller from Xavier and Nevada's Mark Fox.

I didn't think there could be much worse than offering Tim Floyd the job.

I was wrong - he could say no.

What a freaking disaster.

0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 08:12:48 PM

You ask God to stop Floyd from taking the job and when God comes through for you, you just whine and bitch. Typical.

:P
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on April 02, 2009, 08:12:48 PM

Heh and Fox from Nevada is off list as he took Georgia job.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 02, 2009, 08:48:19 PMYou ask God to stop Floyd from taking the job and when God comes through for you, you just whine and bitch. Typical.

:lol:

I was about to say!  Jesus came through for Berkut.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

charliebear

The traffic report yesterday evening stated that I-75 at 8 Mile was extremely congested because the team bus of one of the Final Four teams was headed toward Detroit.  Now, we all know it had to be Michigan State, because I sure can't see UConn taking the bus to Detroit.

jimmy olsen

Nice game so far. :)

EDIT: One of my brackets is in the 95.3rd percintile on ESPN, 217,705th place!  :lol:

I had 3 of the Final Four, only missed Michigan st.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Wow.  Great, great game by the Spartans.  Huge on the glass, forced a zillion turnovers.

charliebear

Championship Game, baby!

Go Spartans! :punk:

Berkut

Quote from: charliebear on April 04, 2009, 07:38:54 PM
Championship Game, baby!

Go Spartans! :punk:

I think it is nice that Izzo is going to leave you guys on such a positive note. It is that kind of class we need at Arizona.

0 rows returned

charliebear

I sure hope he's not leaving.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point