And we're back!

Main Menu

Household chores as a kid

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2011, 10:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martim Silva

Being Portuguese and having been raised long ago, the general idea at the time was that household chores are for women.

Thus, being a male, I was never required to do any. Neither did my father, even though he was unemployed his entire adult life - he always let my mother do everything on her own.

Today things are different, and women demand a division of the workload. Which actually means 'the men should do everything'. Quite a difference from the past. And a big reason why I'm single, after having cohabited with my girlfriend in my 20s and experienced this new trend first-hand.

Today, I use a cleaning lady for the hard bits around the house. I do the small-time cleaning simply because I am a Virgo and can't stand the sight of a little dust.

If I had kids, I wouldn't ask them to do anything - let the employee deal with it, clean it if you want.

Monoriu

The first time I did chores was actually when I studied a semester at Berkeley, long after I graduated.  I lived in a dormatory, so no maids.  Looking back, it was the most useful skill that I obtained there.  I made a few simple rules and stuck to them.  Took the trash out and did the dishes every night.  Designated every Wednesday morning as cleaning time.  Changed the bedsheets, vacuumed the room, did the laundry, wiped the tables and large surfaces, took a critical look at my stuff to see if anything could be thrown away, etc.  Every week.  I was 26 back then, and it was the first time I did any laundry or cleaning.  I used to think that chores were too tough and demanding, but it was amazingly easy to pick up those habits. 

Camerus

Cleaning my room whenever the parents demanded it, shoveling snow in the winter, cutting grass in the summer, and participating in various capacities whenever my dad announced, "we're going to clean up the house today!"

The day-to-day cleaning and such was usually handled by Mom.

merithyn

Has anyone figured out why this thread is pinned? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

And why my post about Jak being gay has been deleted?  :lol:

Slargos

Quote from: merithyn on May 11, 2011, 08:50:27 PM

To act as a warning to others.

"Look what becoming a parent might make you do, you imbecilles."

Martinus

crazy canuck

We dont have chore lists.  We just have a level of expectation that certain things will get done by the boys.  Those things include cooking their own breakfasts, making their own lunches, keeping their rooms and play areas clean, helping with the dishes and cooking supper a few days a week and taking out the garbage.

Also, is it possible to purge Marti from OTR?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: merithyn on May 11, 2011, 08:50:27 PM

Did you do your chores yet?  :yeahright:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martim Silva on May 11, 2011, 11:26:50 AM
Being Portuguese and having been raised long ago, the general idea at the time was that household chores are for women.

Thus, being a male, I was never required to do any. Neither did my father, even though he was unemployed his entire adult life - he always let my mother do everything on her own.

Today things are different, and women demand a division of the workload. Which actually means 'the men should do everything'. Quite a difference from the past. And a big reason why I'm single, after having cohabited with my girlfriend in my 20s and experienced this new trend first-hand.

Today, I use a cleaning lady for the hard bits around the house. I do the small-time cleaning simply because I am a Virgo and can't stand the sight of a little dust.

If I had kids, I wouldn't ask them to do anything - let the employee deal with it, clean it if you want.

Your dad sounds like a fantastic role model.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

We divided ALL the work. When it came to the weekly cleaning I usually chose the bathrooms. We alternated putting crap in the dishwasher and going shopping. At some point (13+ yo) everyone used to do his or her own laundry or cook his or her own meals (we all came home at different times).

Nowadays I do nothing at all. I solved the problem by living in a very small apartment and paying someone to do that kind of crap for me.

Zeus

When I have kids, and I pray I don't, I'll make them all into my little slaves and clean my house after me for little pay and no benefits. Hell, scrap the pay.

To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Barrister

Quote from: Zeus on May 13, 2011, 06:39:25 PM
When I have kids, and I pray I don't, I'll make them all into my little slaves and clean my house after me for little pay and no benefits. Hell, scrap the pay.

:lol:  Good luck with that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.