News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Household chores as a kid

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2011, 10:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2011, 10:33:57 PM
And how will/have you handle(d) the concept of "chores" with your kids?
When I was young, my father was working outside the city all week long and the saturdays were devoted to chopping and taking out wood from his woodlands.
During the week, I had to do the lawnmower, make sure the wood was ready for winter, bring it inside, do some minor landscaping, help my mom with cooking, clean my room way too often for my tastes, help my grandfather (farmer), and various stuff in and out of the house like helping my mother clean the dishes.

If I have kids one day, they'll do some of this stuff too, or at least help me do it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Razgovory on May 10, 2011, 04:17:45 AM
I learned at an early age that if you do a job poorly enough the first time, you won't be asked to do it again.

Didn't work for Dubya though, did it?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2011, 03:27:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2011, 10:47:48 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on May 09, 2011, 10:42:59 PM
Out of curiosity for those who answer, were there "boy" chores and "girl" chores ?

(For my part, it was standard to do things around the house - dishes, vacuum, dusting, etc. - but we didn't cook, unless it was a "family" affair).

Not in my house, but then we never had particularly strict gender roles.

:zipped:

None of us seemed to have had a problem with it...well maybe my father as he has come to resent that he was a stay at home dad.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I meant you turning out ab-normal and all.  :ph34r:

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2011, 11:15:26 AM
I meant you turning out ab-normal and all.  :ph34r:

Yeah probably would have better to have been raised in an environment that would have made me ashamed and left me a closet case for most of my 20s.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

I learned at an early age that if you do a job poorly enough the first time, you won't be asked to do it again.

My kids have tried that for years. Hasn't worked for them yet.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

LaCroix

never had any. :) it's been a bit difficult since moving out :(

DGuller

Everybody had a chore.  It was basically each one did their own room, and then did one of the general tasks everywhere else (dishes/putting stuff away/dusting/vacuuming).  I was the vacuumer.  There was really no individual avenue of appeal to my mom;  it was so understood that everyone was going to be a part of it, that the only salvation was if we all collectively got a reprieve, and skipped a week by executive decree on the day of the cleaning.

Zeus

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2011, 12:50:40 PM

My kids have tried that for years. Hasn't worked for them yet.

Kids, being kids, will always find some way out of chores.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

merithyn

Quote from: Zeus on May 10, 2011, 10:18:13 PM

Not mine. I love them too much to let them beat me in this regard.

And I have no problem using a yardstick on their asses when necessary.  :moon:

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on May 10, 2011, 10:36:38 PM
Quote from: Zeus on May 10, 2011, 10:18:13 PM

Not mine. I love them too much to let them beat me in this regard.

And I have no problem using a yardstick on their asses when necessary.  :moon:

:zipped:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Monoriu

Our Filipino maid did all chores.  My one and only chore was to excel academically. 

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Rasputin

Who is John Galt?