News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Household chores as a kid

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2011, 10:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

When I was a pre-teen oh so long ago, my mom separated our house into three different jobs: living room & dining room, bathroom, and kitchen. She then assigned each of us one of those jobs with the expectation that it be done before she got home from work. We balked at the idea at first, but we really had no choice, so we did the chores. None of us liked them, but seriously, who does like household chores? My godmother had a similar program at her place, but because we were quite small when we lived there, we only had to dust and vacuum. :)

With my four kids, I started doing the same thing when the eldest two were around 10 years old, though I've included several other jobs into the mix, and added Max and my names into the rotation as they've gotten elder. Every week, things rotate, which means that someone can go five weeks without having to do a single dish, etc. The system is meant to teach the kids every aspect of keeping house, and to move things around so that no one is stuck doing the really crap job all the time.

I recently found out that this is an "odd" concept to some friends of ours. They have 11-year-old twin boys whose only jobs are to take out the trash and to load the dishwasher. The parents do everything else, mostly because they want it done a certain way and they don't want to fight the boys to get things done properly. In addition, apparently my ex-husband's wife does ALL of the housework at his house, and the kids aren't expected to lift a finger except to keep their bedrooms picked up.

Am I unusual in the idea that the house is a family place, therefore it's the entire family's responsibility to take care of it? :unsure:

And how will/have you handle(d) the concept of "chores" with your kids?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

No, though I can understand why soft parents might choose to do 10 minutes of dishes over 20 minutes of arguing/nagging.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Yes, in my house with my father I was expected to do the chores(he was working 12hr days)

When was with my mother she would make me clean and take out garbage, but we rotated the dishes.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 09, 2011, 10:37:22 PM
No, though I can understand why soft parents might choose to do 10 minutes of dishes over 20 minutes of arguing/nagging.

It is 100 times easier to do it myself than to deal with the kids' over things, but what is that teaching them? So, I take the much harder (and very draining) road in order to teach them about responsibility. I'm rarely sure if it's sinking in, but at least I'm trying.

garbon

We did chores as a kid but it did always seem like many of our friends found the concept alien.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

On even days, I had to set the silverware and napkins on the table, while my brother had to feed the dog; on odd days we swapped. We also had to vacuum and take out the garbage when told, which was fairly often. And often had to mow the lawn. And other things.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Oexmelin

Out of curiosity for those who answer, were there "boy" chores and "girl" chores ?

(For my part, it was standard to do things around the house - dishes, vacuum, dusting, etc. - but we didn't cook, unless it was a "family" affair).
Que le grand cric me croque !

merithyn

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 09, 2011, 10:40:25 PM
On even days, I had to set the silverware and napkins on the table, while my brother had to feed the dog; on odd days we swapped. We also had to vacuum and take out the garbage when told, which was fairly often. And often had to mow the lawn. And other things.

:huh:

Wow. Our chore list includes:

• Living Room & Front Hall
  • Dining Room & Garbage
  • Bathroom & Cat Litter
  • Dishes & Kitchen
  • Laundry
  • Plan, make and put away dinner

The chores include picking up, dusting, sweeping, organizing, wiping surfaces down as needed, etc., in each room. Basically... keeping house.

Barrister

We had various chores as a kid, but I have to admit at certain points my mother "gave up" and did a big chunk of them herself.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on May 09, 2011, 10:45:30 PM
:huh:

Wow. Our chore list includes:

• Living Room & Front Hall
  • Dining Room & Garbage
  • Bathroom & Cat Litter
  • Dishes & Kitchen
  • Laundry
  • Plan, make and put away dinner

The chores include picking up, dusting, sweeping, organizing, wiping surfaces down as needed, etc., in each room. Basically... keeping house.

We did all of those except washing the laundry (until we were older). I think they thought we'd fuck it up. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 09, 2011, 10:42:59 PM
Out of curiosity for those who answer, were there "boy" chores and "girl" chores ?

(For my part, it was standard to do things around the house - dishes, vacuum, dusting, etc. - but we didn't cook, unless it was a "family" affair).

Once we were old enough to pretty much keep the house always picked up, the chores were separated into Garbage and Dishes. My brother took the garbage to the curb once a week, and my sister and I did the dishes every night... because that's what boys and girls did.  :wacko:

I've never made the distinction in my house. Chores need to be done regardless of whether you have a penis or not.

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 09, 2011, 10:42:59 PM

Not in my house, but then we never had particularly strict gender roles.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2011, 10:47:10 PM

We did all of those except washing the laundry (until we were older). I think they thought we'd fuck it up. :blush:

Laundry and dinner are recent additions now that my youngest has turned 12. :D

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2011, 10:46:35 PM
We had various chores as a kid, but I have to admit at certain points my mother "gave up" and did a big chunk of them herself.

I think this is the most common scenario. My mom often re-did things we thought we had done a great job on.
:p

HVC

No set chore list, but i was told to do stuff like take out the trash, vacuum, shovel etc. at random times.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.