How do you insult Nook salespipple at Barnes & Nobles?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 09, 2011, 07:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 10, 2011, 08:02:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 10, 2011, 10:32:01 AM
The Nook Color is an awesome device.  I just wish the wife would like me replace the stock firmware with Cyanogenmod 7 on hers.

Oh good someone I "know" who has done this.  Is it difficult to root them?  Does it retain all the functionality of the Nook?  How do you use the bn.com store?

Sorry for the sort of stream of consciousness type thing there. 

Here's my experience:

I bought my wife her Nook Color mainly to use as a cheap Android tablet.  At that time, it was running the 1.1.1 Nook firmware (based on Android 2.1).  The stock firmware has a great e-reader interface (many books have interactive features-- some of the kids' books read the book to the kid in a kid-friendly voice) but was mainly geared toward e-books + web browsing (no flash support).  It had a few apps, but nothing to write home about.  To unlock its potential as a tablet, I ran something called the Autonooter from a microSD card that rooted the device quickly & easily.  It also installed Google apps, most importantly the official Android marketplace, which worked great.  I also installed the Amazon app store, but it became a pain to actually install the apps after you downloaded them.  The wife liked the stock firmware so I left it at that rather than installing Cyanogenmod or the version of Honeycomb that someone customized for the Nook Color.

Several days ago, B&N released the new 1.2 firmware which is based on Android 2.2 & includes flash support, so I reverted the device back to unrooted stock 1.1 and ran the update.  The updated stock firmware runs great-- flash definitely works in the browser.  But the B&N app store sucks ass.  Very few apps to choose from & you end up having to pay for apps (such as Angry Birds)  you can get elsewhere for free.

The Autonooter does not work with 1.2, but there is a Manualnooter that does the same thing but requires a little more involvement as the name implies.  I'm going to try running that tonight so we can get the Google apps back on there & not be limited to B&N's app store.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

I have a question about e-readers.  Is there anything out there that's cheap, reads PDF documents well, and works well as an e-reader without an Internet connection? 

I have dozens of exciting actuarial papers to read for the next exam, and most of them are on PDFs.  Printing all of that vile garbage out would just result in a prohibitively heavy book bag, so e-reader is an option I'm considering.  However, I don't want to have to deal with distractions, so not having an ability to surf on the reader would be a plus.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on May 11, 2011, 10:59:25 AM
I have a question about e-readers.  Is there anything out there that's cheap, reads PDF documents well, and works well as an e-reader without an Internet connection? 

I have dozens of exciting actuarial papers to read for the next exam, and most of them are on PDFs.  Printing all of that vile garbage out would just result in a prohibitively heavy book bag, so e-reader is an option I'm considering.  However, I don't want to have to deal with distractions, so not having an ability to surf on the reader would be a plus.

How big of a screen do you need?  I recall a 7" ebook reader that was below $100 and lacked wifi (i.e., no web browsing).  I know there are others on the market that match this description, but this one had e-ink which means a lot more battery life than LCD.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on May 11, 2011, 11:49:26 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 11, 2011, 10:59:25 AM

How big of a screen do you need?  I recall a 7" ebook reader that was below $100 and lacked wifi (i.e., no web browsing).  I know there are others on the market that match this description, but this one had e-ink which means a lot more battery life than LCD.
That's a good question.  I've never held an e-reader in my hands, so I have no idea what screen size is reasonable.  I'll try to get my hands on some exhibit pieces in the store, and see what size I need.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on May 11, 2011, 11:56:33 AM
That's a good question.  I've never held an e-reader in my hands, so I have no idea what screen size is reasonable.  I'll try to get my hands on some exhibit pieces in the store, and see what size I need.

If a 5" screen would be sufficient, I would probably recommend this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Reader+Pocket+Edition+Digital+Book+-+Silver/1238478.p?id=1218239967224&skuId=1238478&cmp=RMX&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1238478

A little more than the sub-$99 one I'm trying to remember the name of, but as a name brand it would probably be more reliable.  I haven't owned any Sony e-readers, but the demo models at store usually seem to work well.  Plus they pretty much invented the e-reader as we know it today.

Berkut

Are any of these eReaders cross platform compatible? Can you download something from Amazon onto a nook?

If the nook can run Android Apps, couldn't you just get Kindle for Android and run it on your Nook?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Maximus

Quote from: Berkut on May 11, 2011, 01:09:26 PM
Are any of these eReaders cross platform compatible? Can you download something from Amazon onto a nook?

If the nook can run Android Apps, couldn't you just get Kindle for Android and run it on your Nook?
I'm not sure about the most recent Nooks but it used to be you had to root them to get access to android market. Of course, once you do that you basically have an android tablet.

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on May 11, 2011, 01:16:27 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 11, 2011, 01:09:26 PM

I'm not sure about the most recent Nooks but it used to be you had to root them to get access to android market. Of course, once you do that you basically have an android tablet.

Correct.  And for $250 (I got my wife's for $199) it becomes an awesome tablet for the money.

I had the Kindle app on my wife's Nook Color when it was rooted (and I'll put it back on when I re-root it).

FWIW, there is also a Nook app for Android.  It's not as full-featured as the native Nook Color interface, but if you have an Android device it's an alternative to the Kindle app.

Ed Anger

Quote from: HVC on May 11, 2011, 09:30:17 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 11, 2011, 07:20:49 AM
Quote from: katmai on May 10, 2011, 08:20:53 PM
If you leave for two whole mins, it will be a 200% increase over the last ragequit we had.
Oh and don't forget to call out all the people who slighted you to boot!

I was gone for 10 whole hours!
that's almost as long as one of your real languish ragequits :contract:

:P

:mad:

I never ragequit. I quit out of boredom and to take care of personal bidness  in '06.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on May 10, 2011, 07:51:53 PM
I hope your children rebel and speak spanish and adopt catholicism.

My "ENGLISH ONLY" signs and Martin Luther icons posted throughout the house will prevent your hope from becoming reality  :showoff:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 11, 2011, 03:43:21 PM
I never ragequit. I quit out of boredom and to take care of personal bidness  in '06.

You got married.  You fag.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 11, 2011, 05:04:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 11, 2011, 03:43:21 PM

You got married.  You fag.

Still angry over that?  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

JonasSalk

Yuman