Nerdiness in your daily life. Are you "out"?

Started by The Larch, May 09, 2011, 10:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you "out" as a nerd in your daily (co-workers, family, non-nerdy buddies) life? If so, how much?

I'm totally and flamingly out as a nerd, anybody who knows me knows it.
7 (15.9%)
I'm out but not flamboyant about it.
17 (38.6%)
I'm out for some selected people, but not for everyone.
9 (20.5%)
I'm hiding in the nerd closet, but willing to come out to some people.
3 (6.8%)
I wear my nerdiness as if it was a badge of shame and would never admit it publicly.
3 (6.8%)
I give wedgies to Jaron. Ha-ha, nerd!
5 (11.4%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on May 09, 2011, 12:43:49 PM
I think your definition of the term is a bit behind the times.  Nerd isn't by definition derogatory in the society at large; books are aimed at "nerds," there are "nerd" websites, etc - none of this would be true if people were ashamed to self-identify as nerds.

I'd see it like emo. Or goth back when I was a kid.
Its an insult for most people but actual emos/goths are happy to identify themselves as such.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 12:47:27 PM
Not to the same extent as it used to be, but I think mostly the definition has shifted a bit in that you're no longer a nerd simply for having an interest in computers.

The problem here is that computer use is now ubiquitous among the kids. Being a nerd for liking computers and computer games is about as useful a label as being a nerd for liking movies - it is more remarkable if you don't.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Camerus

Interesting question.

Now that I wear glasses full-time, I think most people are more likely to approach me with a default nerd assumption, or at least not be terribly surprised if I reveal my nerdish leanings to them.

That being said, my nerdish tendencies don't really fall into many of the stereotypical domains.  I love history (and humanities / social sciences generally), languages, strategy games, and sometimes read sci-fi and fantasy books.  But I don't play D&D, am not terribly interested in computers, don't read comics, etc.  So I am not sure where that places me in the nerd continuum.

How open am I about my nerdish tendencies?  The topic almost never comes up with most people I meet or am even friends with, and I don't go out of my way to mention that I recently read an Asimov book or something (mostly because virtually nobody gives a shit).  On the other hand, I wouldn't lie about it either.

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2011, 12:52:27 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 12:47:27 PM
Not to the same extent as it used to be, but I think mostly the definition has shifted a bit in that you're no longer a nerd simply for having an interest in computers.

The problem here is that computer use is now ubiquitous among the kids. Being a nerd for liking computers and computer games is about as useful a label as being a nerd for liking movies - it is more remarkable if you don't.

Sure. But that's my point. It's not that being a nerd has suddenly become cool (even if to some extent it certainly has, as nerds have started being depicted as successful entrepreneurs and businessmen) it's that the definition of a nerd has changed.

Camerus

I dunno.  The depiction of a socially inept, stereotypical, one-dimensional "nerd" seems a lot less common than it did, say, 20 years ago.

Would a movie like Revenge of the Nerds be made today?  It seems unlikely. 

From anecdotal observations, it seems "nerds" in today's media would more likely be depcited as sympathetic figures, and "cool-in-their-own-way."

Malthus

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 09, 2011, 01:04:14 PM
I dunno.  The depiction of a socially inept, stereotypical, one-dimensional "nerd" seems a lot less common than it did, say, 20 years ago.

From anecdotal observations, it seems "nerds" in today's media would more likely be depcited as sympathetic figures, and "cool-in-their-own-way."

The whole notion of "nerd-dom" is mostly a creation of the culture of high-school kids. It has little relevance to the adult world, as adults tend to measure and be measured by social status, marital and family situation, and comparative wealth.

In order to know whether there is such a creature as a "nerd", you'd have to know whether this concept still exists among high-school kids. Which I don't, not knowing any.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

I don't disagree. As the nerd has become more common (or at least more visible) his persona has been given dimension in the narrative.

Still, the notion that nerdity is now fully accepted as just another quirk is plainly wrong. I still somtimes get negative-ish reactions when mentioning Fantasy books or PC gaming.

Camerus

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2011, 01:08:56 PM

The whole notion of "nerd-dom" is mostly a creation of the culture of high-school kids. It has little relevance to the adult world, as adults tend to measure and be measured by social status, marital and family situation, and comparative wealth.

In order to know whether there is such a creature as a "nerd", you'd have to know whether this concept still exists among high-school kids. Which I don't, not knowing any.

Not sure about that.  Certainly the nerd construct has the most potency in high schools.  But I definitely think it exists outside of it as well.  It does diminish over time, but I think people in their twenties are still very much aware of it.  Heck, many people in their 30's wouldn't hesititate to apply the "nerd" label to, say, someone who was 39, single and played video games all day.

And many depictions of "nerds" certainly exist in TV and movies, as well - by no means all of which are consumed solely by high school kids.

Camerus

Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 01:09:56 PM

I don't disagree. As the nerd has become more common (or at least more visible) his persona has been given dimension in the narrative.

Still, the notion that nerdity is now fully accepted as just another quirk is plainly wrong. I still somtimes get negative-ish reactions when mentioning Fantasy books or PC gaming.

True say.  There is by no means is there complete acceptance.  But I think there is more leeway nowadays for having nerdish hobbies than there was at one time.

Slargos

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 09, 2011, 01:22:12 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 01:09:56 PM

True say.  There is by no means is there complete acceptance.  But I think there is more leeway nowadays for having nerdish hobbies than there was at one time.

Definitely. In my experience, peers in my age group typically respond to my intense interest in gaming as something to chuckle about, but while not many of them share my intensity they understand the concept. Usually, however, when encountering the topic with people just a few years older the common response is " :huh: " or " :rolleyes: ".

Razgovory

I used to try to keep those things secret.  Since I don't interact with people these day, it doesn't really matter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Mr.Penguin

At the post office where I work does it seems that every male person between the age of 20 and 40 is a nerd in some way or another, movie nerds, gaming nerds computers nerds, you name it we got it...

So I have been out as a nerd for years, not that all know the level of my nerddom (playing a WW1 board game, with 4000 counters is properly a bit to much for most people to stomach)... 
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Barrister

My take on it is that a lot of the "nerdy" activities I engaged in as a kid are now seen as being much more socially acceptable - for kids.

I'm slightly embarassed to say that I play computer games, not because they're geeky, but because they are "childish".

I don't really see an interest in history as being particularily geeky though.  I'll certainly admit that I spend a big chunk of my vacations going to museums and battlefields, and have a nice little history library at home.

Do I talk about it?  Not really.  Much like sexuality - it rarely comes up in casual conversation.  If someone else starts talking about, I dunno, WoW, I'll admit that I play, but that's about it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 09, 2011, 01:16:57 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2011, 01:08:56 PM

Not sure about that.  Certainly the nerd construct has the most potency in high schools.  But I definitely think it exists outside of it as well.  It does diminish over time, but I think people in their twenties are still very much aware of it.  Heck, many people in their 30's wouldn't hesititate to apply the "nerd" label to, say, someone who was 39, single and played video games all day.

And many depictions of "nerds" certainly exist in TV and movies, as well - by no means all of which are consumed solely by high school kids.

Well, yeah, but a 39 year old who is single and does nothing but play computer games is likely to rank low in terms of "...social status, marital and family situation, and comparative wealth".

Certainly, there are plenty of depictions of the nerd stereotype in movies and the like - but then, even people who have been out of high school for years will still have a nostalgic attachment to its tropes. In real life, concern over your interests tends to be muted compared with concern about what you do for a living and whether your spouse is attractive or whether you have kids or not ... the guy who does nothing but live in his mom's basement and play computer games isn't remarkable because of his interests, but because of his low social status - the fact he lacks such things as a job, spouse or family. Same as the guy who does nothing but smoke pot all day (sometimes the same guy, of course).

katmai

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2011, 01:50:58 PM

Well, yeah, but a 39 year old who is single and does nothing but play computer games is likely to rank low in terms of "...social status, marital and family situation, and comparative wealth".
Geeze Malthus, pretty harsh on Seedy.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son