News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Kid beat to death. [Graphic]

Started by Zeus, May 08, 2011, 11:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: dps on May 09, 2011, 04:49:07 PM

Given that in this courntry there were white youth gangs at a time when most blacks were still held in slavery, I don't think that whites involved in gang violence got it from integrating into black culture.

For a lot of things, I would agree with you that there are certain practices which are tied closely to certain groups (for example, female genital multilation), but youth gang violence isn't one of them, and your apparant belief that it is just illustrates my earlier point that you don't know jack about America.

Assertion. You need to show that this type of gang violence was actually common before you can make that argument. All I know is that it's a frequent and common part of black culture today.

You're probably right that my knowledge of the minutiae of American gang violence is limited, however.

I do know that incarceration rates for blacks are off the charts in the US, and the same is true in Sweden.

Again, you assert that youth gang violence cannot be tied to any specific group, but earlier you said that in fact whites are NOT as frequently involved in gang violence as blacks. What's it going to be?

This kumbaya we-are-the-world everyone-is-equal crap will not fly no matter how much you pretend it.

Institutional racism forces blacks into involuntary assault and battery? Or does it just prosecute them more frequently, and let white criminals slide? There has to be SOME explanation why there are so many negroes in prison.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2011, 05:04:02 PM
Slargles, you're pretty ignorant of American history if you think violent gangs in the ghetto are a black thing.

There's been violent Irish gangs, Chinese gangs, Italian gangs, Jewish gangs and so in the various ghettos across the US. It's almost as if it's the poverty and ghetto life that gives rise to gang violence and not ethnicity.

In the 20s and 30s, in Vancouver, it were Swedes who were thought to be the sub-human, violence prone, leeching elements of society; even to the point that there were riots against them.

Heh, the major stereotype associated with Swedes in NA was ... stupidity. The term "dumb as a Swede" or "dumb Swede" used to be common.

There is even a Robert Service poem based on this (though in it the "Dumb Swede" turns the tables on the slicks who take advantage of him):

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/dumb-swede/

QuoteDumb Swede 

With barbwire hooch they filled him full,
Till he was drunker than all hell,
And then they peddled him the bull
About a claim they had to sell.
A thousand bucks they made him pay,
Knowing that he had nothing more,
And when he begged it back next day,
And wept! - they kicked him from the door.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Slargles, you're pretty ignorant of American history if you think violent gangs in the ghetto are a black thing.

There's been violent Irish gangs, Chinese gangs, Italian gangs, Jewish gangs and so in the various ghettos across the US. It's almost as if it's the poverty and ghetto life that gives rise to gang violence and not ethnicity.

In the 20s and 30s, in Vancouver, it were Swedes who were thought to be the sub-human, violence prone, leeching elements of society; even to the point that there were riots against them.

I'm very surprised to hear that since typically Scandinavians have historically been considerd honest and hard working to a fault (see Malthus' pathetic attempt at prodding me, for instance, where honesty turns into stupidity) whereever they go and I would very much like to know more. I'm sure you have sources to back your claims up.

Slargos

I'm sure it's all ghettoes and institutional racism to blame.

Nothing more to see here.

Slargos

Though frankly, I am not opposed to considering the Anglo angle aswell. They are after all a serial-bastardized people. Negroes and the English. What a fine couple they make.  :hmm:

I've always wondered what makes Americans such a violent culture, but it makes perfect sense, really.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 05:19:05 PM

I'm very surprised to hear that since typically Scandinavians have historically been considerd honest and hard working to a fault (see Malthus' pathetic attempt at prodding me, for instance, where honesty turns into stupidity) whereever they go and I would very much like to know more. I'm sure you have sources to back your claims up.

Heh, I'm thinking that old stereotype of the "dumb Swede" has some life in it yet ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2011, 05:35:09 PM

Heh, I'm thinking that old stereotype of the "dumb Swede" has some life in it yet ...  :D

I was going to say that I won't bite and that you might aswell give up, but then...

I considered what Sweden looks like today, and I think there's more to the stereotype than I'd like to admit.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 05:31:50 PM

I've always wondered what makes Americans such a violent culture, but it makes perfect sense, really.

chewing gum.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 05:09:43 PM
Quote from: dps on May 09, 2011, 04:49:07 PM

Given that in this courntry there were white youth gangs at a time when most blacks were still held in slavery, I don't think that whites involved in gang violence got it from integrating into black culture.

For a lot of things, I would agree with you that there are certain practices which are tied closely to certain groups (for example, female genital multilation), but youth gang violence isn't one of them, and your apparant belief that it is just illustrates my earlier point that you don't know jack about America.

Assertion. You need to show that this type of gang violence was actually common before you can make that argument. All I know is that it's a frequent and common part of black culture today.

Uhm, I don't know exactly how to respond to that.  As an American, I grew up seeing stuff like this all the time--usually not personally, but it was alway out there.  It sort of like when we were trying to convince Tyr or some other Brit that the President doesn't appoint members of the Senate, except in that case, we could at least quote him the text of the Constitution.  I can't really direct you to archives of gang fights that I and people I know saw when we were in high school.

You know, this kind of scares me about the internet.  For some people nowdays, it's like something isn't real if you can't post a link to it.

I do know that incarceration rates for blacks are off the charts in the US, and the same is true in Sweden.

Again, you assert that youth gang violence cannot be tied to any specific group, but earlier you said that in fact whites are NOT as frequently involved in gang violence as blacks. What's it going to be?

Why should it have to be one or the other?  It's as if you had asserted that only people who are 6'10" or more can play in the NBA, when in fact there are a lot of players in the 6'2" to 6'9" range who do so.  Yeah, I'm sure that the percentage of people over 6'10" who can play in the NBA is a lot higher than the percentage of 6'6" people who can, but it doesn't mean that only those over 6'10" can have a pro basketball career.

dps

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2011, 05:35:09 PM

St. Olaf.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 05:37:05 PM
I was going to say that I won't bite and that you might aswell give up, but then...

I considered what Sweden looks like today, and I think there's more to the stereotype than I'd like to admit.

It always sort of looked like a dangling scrotum ...  ;)

dps

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2011, 06:21:59 PM

Veerryy interessstttinng.  Tell us about your mother.

Malthus

Quote from: dps on May 09, 2011, 06:26:38 PM

If a dangling scrotum reminds you of mother, you have a problem.  ;)

dps

Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2011, 06:28:25 PM

whoosh

Malthus

Quote from: dps on May 09, 2011, 06:55:14 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 09, 2011, 06:28:25 PM

whoosh

Double-whoosh.