Before I go - does anyone know the best way to ripen avocados?

Started by Martinus, May 08, 2011, 04:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I bought some avocados from an online grocery story to make guacamole, however they are still hard/non-ripe. Is there a "homemade" way to ripen them fast?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Avocados ripen within three to four days, if they are kept in brown paper bags at room temperature. In case, you cannot arrange for brown paper bags, use simple newspaper to completely wrap the avocados. This also helps in quick ripening of the avocado fruit.

Add Ripe Fruits
For ripening avocados quickly, you can place them in a paper bag (preferably brown bag) and add a ripe banana, apple or tomato. The ethylene gas released from the ripe fruit will quicken the ripening process of avocados. Make sure you store them at room temperature.

Last resort is microwave to make soft enough to use, but the flavor of them pales compared to naturally ripened.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on May 08, 2011, 04:22:26 AM
Avocados ripen within three to four days, if they are kept in brown paper bags at room temperature. In case, you cannot arrange for brown paper bags, use simple newspaper to completely wrap the avocados. This also helps in quick ripening of the avocado fruit.

Add Ripe Fruits
For ripening avocados quickly, you can place them in a paper bag (preferably brown bag) and add a ripe banana, apple or tomato. The ethylene gas released from the ripe fruit will quicken the ripening process of avocados. Make sure you store them at room temperature.

Last resort is microwave to make soft enough to use, but the flavor of them pales compared to naturally ripened.

Thanks! For once, your Mexicanism proves also a blessing and not just a curse.  :hug:

katmai

Nope still not gonna miss ya.
Oh should we pull an Ech and change your password to stop you from coming back. 
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Norgy

Viking

If you are going to leave leave, don't do this hanging around bit hoping to get a TBR invite.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Are these avocados a euphemism for something I'm missing here?

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2011, 07:54:42 AM
If you are going to leave leave, don't do this hanging around bit hoping to get a TBR invite.
Why not?  It is hilariously pathetic and I hope it goes on for a long time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2011, 08:52:03 AM

Hilariously pathetic? Remind me again why you returned after your pathetically dramatic good bye posts.

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2011, 09:06:02 AM

Hilariously pathetic? Remind me again why you returned after your pathetically dramatic good bye posts.

Grumbler left? When was this?

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on May 08, 2011, 09:09:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 08, 2011, 09:06:02 AM

Grumbler left? When was this?

When he was temp-banned by Neil or something like that. He posted a big drama queen style good bye post, then slinked back a couple of weeks later.

Slargos

So are you already back from your ragequit, or are you just building up to it?

The Brain

Quote from: Slargos on May 08, 2011, 09:20:16 AM
So are you already back from your ragequit, or are you just building up to it?

You blinked? N00b.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.