Started by jimmy olsen, May 07, 2011, 07:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 09, 2011, 09:48:56 AM
The correct mechanism is 'blitzkreig'.  But the Germans haven't regrown the hair that the Allies shaved off their balls in 1945 yet. :(

Maybe they need to bring the Ukraine in and then use hordes of Cossacks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2011, 09:52:42 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 09, 2011, 09:48:56 AM
The correct mechanism is 'blitzkreig'.  But the Germans haven't regrown the hair that the Allies shaved off their balls in 1945 yet. :(

Maybe they need to bring the Ukraine in and then use hordes of Cossacks.

Maybe the Wops could invade again from Albania.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zanza2

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2011, 09:10:18 AM
So what happens to Greek Euros if Greece leave the Eurozone?  Also what about the Euros that exist only on banksheets and in computers?  How do you divvy up these virtual Euros?
That's really the smallest problem. The cash will just stay valid currency in the remaining Eurozone and they will phase it out slowly. Reducing the amount of cash in circulation is easy for a central bank.
As far as money that only exists in accounts is concerned, you can just leave those accounts in Euro for a while and pay the equivalent amount in the new currency (depending on daily exchange rate of course). Meaning that all money in Greek banks can only be withdrawn or transferred as if it was drachma.

Razgovory

Wouldn't that cause Greeks to transfer their money to non-Greek banks to prevent their money from wildly fluctuating in value?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

How should a union expect to survive long term without a common currency?

Pat

Not sure what you mean. If you take the customs union part of the EU, for example, it doesn't require a common currency, and the same goes for most of the other stuff the EU does.

Slargos

Quote from: Pat on May 09, 2011, 02:01:48 PM
Not sure what you mean. If you take the customs union part of the EU, for example, it doesn't require a common currency, and the same goes for most of the other stuff the EU does.

Common customs union, constitution, parliament, diffusion of laws, etc etc etc.

It's not hard to spot where this is going, and it needs to come to its natural conclusion. EU wil be USE before the end of the 21st century or it will be fractured.

Valmy

Well I look forward to you chanting U-S-E!  U-S-E!  U-S-E!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2011, 09:19:27 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 09, 2011, 08:24:44 AM
Well, the Euro is a bad idea (or at least a good idea badly implemented), so maybe Greece's idea isn't so bad after all. :hmm:
It's a good idea in theory, as is the rest of the EU.  But they expanded far to quickly.
Where the Euro fails is that it doesn't take into account the different policy requirements across the EU.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on May 09, 2011, 02:42:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2011, 09:19:27 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 09, 2011, 08:24:44 AM
Well, the Euro is a bad idea (or at least a good idea badly implemented), so maybe Greece's idea isn't so bad after all. :hmm:
It's a good idea in theory, as is the rest of the EU.  But they expanded far to quickly.
Where the Euro fails is that it doesn't take into account the different policy requirements across the EU.

Indeed.  France, Germany and the Benelux have similar economies.  While Syt is correct there would still be difficulties, they could probably hammer those out.  Countries like Estonia or Bulgaria are worlds apart in their economic methods and goals.

The best thing the EU and the EURO could do is make trade simpler and less expensive.  They could gradually let in more countries, but not like in the last decade where they invited almost everyone in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza2

Quote from: Razgovory on May 09, 2011, 01:36:02 PM
Wouldn't that cause Greeks to transfer their money to non-Greek banks to prevent their money from wildly fluctuating in value?
Of course. Greece would probably have to institute capital controls for some time, which would violate the single market regulations. So they would basically not just quit the Eurozone, but also quit the single market for some time.