Main Menu

The brother of the future Queen of England

Started by Martinus, May 06, 2011, 03:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 04:15:04 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 06, 2011, 04:13:05 PM
Unless you are a professional athlete.

You are not required to get married.  It is not like he is a red state politician or anything.  Besides he plays for the LA Galaxy nobody would notice.

Not sure I really see the difference. Things may be changing (slowly) but back when he started his career, being openly gay would spell the end of his career, both in terms of homophobia from fellow players and lack of sponsors/endorsements - how is that different from a red state politician?

Besides, it's not like he married just any beard - he married Posh Spice. For both of them this was a career/"power couple" move - so it could have just been a pact.

If you have to ask why sport celebrities choose to stay in the closet, ask yourself why people in the entertainment industry (arguably, the most gay-friendly industry) have to - from NPH or Ricky Martin who stayed in the closet for a long time, to Tom Cruise or John Travolta who are still there.

jamesww

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 03:58:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 03:56:43 PM

Your inclusion of David Beckham makes it hard to figure out what team you are referring to.

Actually he has been rumoured to be gay for quite a while.

And 9/11 is rumoured to be an 'inside job'.  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 04:54:15 PM
Not sure I really see the difference. Things may be changing (slowly) but back when he started his career, being openly gay would spell the end of his career, both in terms of homophobia from fellow players and lack of sponsors/endorsements - how is that different from a red state politician?

Red state politicians get married so they can parade their wife and kids to show how family values they are.  Sports stars do not need to do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

If you have to ask why sport celebrities choose to stay in the closet, ask yourself why people...Tom Cruise or John Travolta who are still there.

I mean presuming they are gay I do not know or really care.  Once you join the cult you are dead to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 05:02:06 PM

Red state politicians get married so they can parade their wife and kids to show how family values they are.  Sports stars do not need to do that.

As I said, in his case it's more of a mutual benefit pact - both him and Posh parade each other, which raises their mutual profile.

jamesww

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 05:05:40 PM
If you have to ask why sport celebrities choose to stay in the closet, ask yourself why people...Tom Cruise or John Travolta who are still there.

I mean presuming they are gay I do not know or really care.  Once you join the cult you are dead to me.

Yes, weird isn't it, that there might be something more important about a person than if they're gay or not.  :hmm:

Maximus

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 03:58:14 PM
Actually he has been rumoured to be gay for quite a while.
Yea, but so has everyone else.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 03:52:49 PM
Yes, and most of them bat for the team. *cough*

Come to think of it none of those guys are nobles they are all knights.  Just FYI

Martinus

Zanza2

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 05:09:05 PMAs I said, in his case it's more of a mutual benefit pact - both him and Posh parade each other, which raises their mutual profile.
So how do you explain their four kids? Just to advance their career? That's just silly, even by your standards.

Sahib

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 09:54:07 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 03:52:49 PM
Yes, and most of them bat for the team. *cough*

Come to think of it none of those guys are nobles they are all knights.  Just FYI

Aren't knights nobles. I mean that's how it used to be  :hmm:
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Richard Hakluyt

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 06, 2011, 03:39:22 PM
He is an upper-class Englishman, labels like gay or heterosexual have no meaning to that elite  :cool:

"Everybody knows that it doesn't count if it happens in boarding school."