News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scots going on The List

Started by Valmy, May 06, 2011, 08:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on May 06, 2011, 09:52:29 AM
A vote for the SNP isn't a vote for independance. Most SNP voters vote SNP because of their other policies.

A vote for NSDAP is not a vote for genocide. Most NSDAP voters vote NSDAP because of their other policies.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

:yes: I support Herr Hitler's "No Jew Left Behind" policy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2011, 11:29:14 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 07, 2011, 03:16:07 AM
The unpopularity of coalition politics was confirmation for me that we should stick with FPTP

You mean the system which gave us the coalition and a hung parliament in around 1/3 of elections since 1885?

As opposed to the other systems that give even more indecisive results?

Josquius

QuoteAs opposed to the other systems that give even more indecisive results?
AV wouldn't have necessarily gave that.
PR though would. But then I'm anti-pr.

Quote from: Viking on May 07, 2011, 01:46:18 PM
A vote for NSDAP is not a vote for genocide. Most NSDAP voters vote NSDAP because of their other policies.

No doubt true.
However the Nazis still went ahead and unilaterally started the genocide anyway, they didn't call a referendum on it first.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on May 08, 2011, 06:43:00 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 07, 2011, 01:46:18 PM

No doubt true.
However the Nazis still went ahead and unilaterally started the genocide anyway, they didn't call a referendum on it first.

Agreed, while genocide is not in the NSDAP party program, secession is on the SNP program.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

I'd vote SNP in Scotland.  Salmond's a great politician and Scottish Labour are deeply, deeply mired in second-rate talent and ideas that the rest of the country disposed of decades ago.  In Scotland the SNP are the only real opposition.

Labour need someone of the calibre of Donald Dewar to leave Westminster and go to Holyrood if they want to do well in Scotland again.  Even the SNP front bench has a lot more talent - like Nicola Sturgeon and, in non-talky positions, John Swinney.

Labour in Scotland need to sort-of separate from the Westminster party - so do the Tories and Lib Dems - or they'll always struggle to make relevant local points.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

I heard Scots like the EU. If so, they should secede from the UK and be a good EU member, not like those British saboteurs. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 09, 2011, 04:03:17 AM
I'd vote SNP in Scotland.  Salmond's a great politician and Scottish Labour are deeply, deeply mired in second-rate talent and ideas that the rest of the country disposed of decades ago.  In Scotland the SNP are the only real opposition.

Labour need someone of the calibre of Donald Dewar to leave Westminster and go to Holyrood if they want to do well in Scotland again.  Even the SNP front bench has a lot more talent - like Nicola Sturgeon and, in non-talky positions, John Swinney.

Labour in Scotland need to sort-of separate from the Westminster party - so do the Tories and Lib Dems - or they'll always struggle to make relevant local points.

That is odd because the Tories and Lib Dems would have lots to say on those local issues that is distinct from what Labour and the SNP would say.  Surely not every Scot is a leftist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

The unpopularity of coalition politics was confirmation for me that we should stick with FPTP.

As for the Lib-Dems, it has been revealed that much of their support is not really interested in the dirty business of government, they want to stand at the sidelines and make sanctimonious comments about what Labour or the Tories are doing wrong. I don't like Clegg, but at least he has the balls to get in there and try and make a positive difference.

I think Nick Clegg's abject betrayal of pretty much every promise he made during the campaign has something to do with them losing the votes, too. ;)

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2011, 10:11:13 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 09, 2011, 04:03:17 AM

That is odd because the Tories and Lib Dems would have lots to say on those local issues that is distinct from what Labour and the SNP would say.  Surely not every Scot is a leftist.

The Scots will never vote for the Tories. Two words: poll tax.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 09, 2011, 10:12:10 AM
The Scots will never vote for the Tories. Two words: poll tax.

I know Scots are legendary for holding grudges and all but that was 20 years ago.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 07, 2011, 03:45:26 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2011, 11:29:14 AM
The unpopularity of coalition politics was confirmation for me that we should stick with FPTP

You mean the system which gave us the coalition and a hung parliament in around 1/3 of elections since 1885?

As opposed to the other systems that give even more indecisive results?

I saw a simulation recently which compared the FPTP results with proportional representation results, and at least with the current vote/party composition, there wouldn't be a greater degree of fragmentation if you guys went with PR.

Of course that is not to say that in a proportional party system more parties wouldn't rise and thrive, thus causing a greater fragmentation.

However it also depends a lot on the national politics - in Poland, we have a proportional representation system, but in just under 20 years of our democracy, the system has evolved into a 2+2 system, where you have two larger parties (which in total get between 75-80% of MPs) and two smaller ones (which get the rest) and the system is quite stable when it comes to coalition forming. Perhaps if you guys had more practice in coalition politics, it would also come easier to you.

The clear benefit of coalitions is that you can have a minor coalition partner add certain "flavour" to the policies of the government it forms with a larger coalition partner, despite the larger partner calling most of the shots.

A hypothetical PO(moderate conservative)-SLD (socialdemocrat/liberal) coalition government (which I hope for after this year's elections) will have a slightly different slant than a PO-PSL (centrist agrarian) government we have now, but PO would still be the main party taking political responsibility and driving the policies with a clear democratic mandate.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on May 09, 2011, 10:09:15 AM
I heard Scots like the EU. If so, they should secede from the UK and be a good EU member, not like those British saboteurs. :P
They'd never be allowed in.
Its a key reason Scottish independance would be suicide.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on May 09, 2011, 10:49:59 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 09, 2011, 10:09:15 AM
They'd never be allowed in.
Its a key reason Scottish independance would be suicide.

Disagree. We are considering letting Iceland in - no idea why we wouldn't let Scotts in.

katmai

You know who is going on the list?
Valmy for using my schtick.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son