News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scots going on The List

Started by Valmy, May 06, 2011, 08:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesww

Classic Boris Johnson tweet:

"MayorOfLondon AV distraction over. Now let's concentrate on jobs, growth and making the most of the Olympics"

And the Olympics isn't some form of frippery ?

Habbaku

Depends on the city.  The Olympics helped transform Atlanta into a modern city.  I can only hope it does the same for London.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jamesww

Quote from: Habbaku on May 06, 2011, 05:26:49 PM
Depends on the city.  The Olympics helped transform Atlanta into a modern city.  I can only hope it does the same for London.

You want London to be more like Atlanta, Georgia ? :blink:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

citizen k

Quote from: jamesww on May 06, 2011, 05:29:00 PM

You want London to be more like Atlanta, Georgia ? :blink:

They could stand to improve restroom facilities and handicapped access. Like they had to do in Athens.

Josquius

QuoteClassic Boris Johnson tweet:

"MayorOfLondon AV distraction over. Now let's concentrate on jobs, growth and making the most of the Olympics"

Was he speaking out against AV?
Would be kind of weird for a guy who pretty much got his job through AV...

This is what the Olympics are likely to do for London:
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on May 06, 2011, 05:54:04 PM
QuoteClassic Boris Johnson tweet:

Was he speaking out against AV?
Would be kind of weird for a guy who pretty much got his job through AV...
The Mayor of London is elected using AV?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2011, 06:25:23 PM
Sort of. Not really. Ish. It uses Supplementary vote which uses the same basic principle of multiple choices (though limiting it to just two) only it adds everyone's second choices to everyone's first choices instead of removing the worst performers and redistributing their vote.
It certainly has a lot in common with AV and most of the anti-AV arguments apply equally or moreso with it.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 06, 2011, 03:18:07 PM
AV has been comprehensively rejected btw, 31% for AV 69% against.

Looks like the Liberal Democrats got fucked, then?

jamesww

Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2011, 06:33:59 PM

Not only on this, I think they're all but electorally dead in the water for a generation, unless they can stay in the coalition, get it to change course and we have an economic miracle within the next 3 years.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on May 06, 2011, 06:33:59 PM

That's what people on the news are muttering- surprisingly high turn out for the referendum as people saw it as a way to attack the lib dems.
Which sucks.

I think we're stuck with the lib dems for the full five years now. Had it passed I'd have had them leaving sooner to try and disassociate themselves from the tories but now....they've just got to hang on and hope things pick up.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on May 06, 2011, 06:31:20 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2011, 06:25:23 PM
Sort of. Not really. Ish. It uses Supplementary vote which uses the same basic principle of multiple choices (though limiting it to just two) only it adds everyone's second choices to everyone's first choices instead of removing the worst performers and redistributing their vote.
It certainly has a lot in common with AV and most of the anti-AV arguments apply equally or moreso with it.
Wow.  That's weak.  Parliament needs to roll that back, stat.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Richard Hakluyt

The unpopularity of coalition politics was confirmation for me that we should stick with FPTP.

As for the Lib-Dems, it has been revealed that much of their support is not really interested in the dirty business of government, they want to stand at the sidelines and make sanctimonious comments about what Labour or the Tories are doing wrong. I don't like Clegg, but at least he has the balls to get in there and try and make a positive difference.

Josquius

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 07, 2011, 03:16:07 AM
The unpopularity of coalition politics was confirmation for me that we should stick with FPTP

You mean the system which gave us the coalition and a hung parliament in around 1/3 of elections since 1885?
██████
██████
██████