News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mowers of Lawn: To Me!

Started by C.C.R., May 06, 2011, 07:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2011, 10:20:35 AM
I've got the Angertorium in the basement.

I lost my office to my baby girl and I've finally completed moving everything down to the basement.  By reorganizing the entire basement & getting rid of a ton of crap we never should have kept in the first place, it looks like I should carve out a fairly decent man/nerd cave for myself.  I bought a gun safe to hold my entire milsurp rifle/pistol collection (recently culled to capitalize on some things that are now kinda rare) and I put some wooden shelves up to hold ammo/accessories.  In the same space I'm setting up 3 desks, an old 25" CRT TV, and a shelving unit full of all my gadgets, computer parts, etc. 

Walls look kinda bare-- I may put up some camouflage netting or something to give that part of the basement some character. 

QuoteSadly, I had an intercom installed. :headslap:

:nelson: 

A few years ago my sister in law gave my brother a wireless intercom system *for his birthday* so she could more conveniently nag him while he's in the basement & she's upstairs.  I hadn't seen my brother that pissed since I broke his Roger Staubach toy figure back around 1980.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Mostly, I pray for a drought that will kill the lawn so it doesn't need mowing.  Worked pretty well the year I lived in Lewisburg--I mowed a couple of times early in the spring and then everything was brown and dead and I didn't have to mow again till the first week of October.

Actually, that was the last year I had to mow.  Since then, I've either lived somewhere that the landlord had it taken care of, or when I lived with my mom, she just had me start the mower for her and then she did the mowing.

jamesww

Years ago I used to rent a house, that was built on former heathland; I took great pleasure in 'encouraging' the garden to revert to something approximating to it's former state, the neighbours were not amused.  :whistle:

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2011, 03:07:48 PM

A few years ago my sister in law gave my brother a wireless intercom system *for his birthday* so she could more conveniently nag him while he's in the basement & she's upstairs.  I hadn't seen my brother that pissed since I broke his Roger Staubach toy figure back around 1980.

I took the lesser annoyance of an intercom than the greater annoyance of people yelling in the house and stomping of the floor to get my attention.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jamesww

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2011, 05:19:21 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 06, 2011, 03:07:48 PM

I took the lesser annoyance of an intercom than the greater annoyance of people yelling in the house and stomping of the floor to get my attention.

I thought that was just your in-law round for a hoe down ? :unsure:

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2011, 02:08:00 PM
Frankly I'm more interested in the Man Cave tangent too. :ccr

But you and I are talking about somewhat different kinds of Man Caves methinks.  My dream man cave would be done up as a very old-fashioned library.  Built in floor to ceilign bookcases, over-stuffed leather chairs, oak panelling on the walls, and a nice large office desk in the middle.

We don't have the space or budget for that - but I am making progress. :shifty:

My mini-law library has been in boxes for 10 years - and now it's out!  Okay, so my copies of Halsbury's Laws of England, and the All England Law Reports (1700-1980) aren't in my office, but rather in the family room just outside my office, but progress is progress.

In the office itself there are 3 more bookcases for my history and fiction books, plus the computer desk.  At this point there's no more room for further chairs or sofas.  :(  But a small flatscreen tv might fit.

As would a beer fridge.  I usually have a cold one at the computer after the baby goes to bed.  I'd be afraid a beer fridge in the office might be a little too convenient though.   :blush:

But I may yet pull the trigger on one.  The adjoining family room has an older (but expensive teakwood) dining table that is perfect for poker when the right time comes.  Perhaps that is where the beer fridge should go.  Tere are already too many baby toys for THAT room to be a Man Cave, but I could make it more Manly...

Heh, you and I think alike. You saw my mini-office with bookcases ... my dream, when I build my addition, is a full scale library with floor to ceiling bookcases of carved wood, with a skylight, overstuffed reading chair, and computer desk ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on May 07, 2011, 01:02:13 PM
Heh, you and I think alike. You saw my mini-office with bookcases ... my dream, when I build my addition, is a full scale library with floor to ceiling bookcases of carved wood, with a skylight, overstuffed reading chair, and computer desk ...
:thumbsup:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points