Because Euroweenism deserves its own MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 06, 2011, 06:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 09:48:27 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 09:23:07 AM
Ok, but remember it next time when you guys jump on me for being pissed off at "Americans" for doing something racist or anti-gay.

I never said jackshit about Euros I was talking specifically about the dude doing the saying.  If you want to be pissed off at any specific Americans for doing racist things or anti-gay things be my guest.

You used the general noun "they" twice in your rants, and "you" once. You never used "he". Hence I assumed you were not talking only about the guy.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 06, 2011, 09:47:53 AM
Angela Merkel's comment was retarded. She should know that by law she is not allowed to be happy about someone being killed.
Is this only because she is a public official, or is there a law which would prevent e.g. you from going on public record saying you are glad X is dead?

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 06, 2011, 09:45:29 AM
Nobody seems to be bothered here either, and that includes the 10% or so that are muslims.

Here the chief media concern is "Will Poland be targeted as a result", which is hillarious. The President even went on record, saying that Poland is safe.  :lol:

Zanza2

From what I can tell what was remarkable this time was that there were a lot of conservatives, not your usual America-critics, among those that mainly criticized Angela Merkel's comments that she felt joy. A lot of Christians in the Christian Democratic Union, Merkel's party, said it was unwarranted for a Christian to feel joy at the killing of a human.

The other comments often aim at how this was an extrajudicial execution and how the "War on Terror" doesn't care for international conventions and laws and also ignores a lot of the basic tenets of rule of law by just declaring enemy combatants to be outlaws that can be killed at the whim of the military or executive. As that's similar to how the Nazis declared people void of rights and then proceeded to kill them, German lawtalkers, philosophers etc. are very worried about any hint of a slippery slope.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 10:00:01 AM
You used the general noun "they" twice in your rants, and "you" once. You never used "he". Hence I assumed you were not talking only about the guy.

Yes becuase I am a well known Eurohater.  You should just assume that is where I am going.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on May 06, 2011, 09:55:30 AM
Valmy is good in a rage. You should see when Texas football sucks for a quarter and a half. THAT is real rage.

You were lucky to get out of that stadium alive!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza2

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 10:01:43 AM
Quote from: Zanza2 on May 06, 2011, 09:47:53 AM
Angela Merkel's comment was retarded. She should know that by law she is not allowed to be happy about someone being killed.
Is this only because she is a public official, or is there a law which would prevent e.g. you from going on public record saying you are glad X is dead?
"By law" was wrong. It is more that her comment doesn't fit with the spirit, not the words of the constitution. Of course you can express your happiness about someone being killed (well, not in a Westboro Baptist Church way - that's actually illegal). But her being one of the highest representatives of the state means that she should also live the values of our constitution and of her Christian party and people complain she fell short there. But she didn't do anything illegal, just stupid.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 06, 2011, 10:04:29 AM
From what I can tell what was remarkable this time was that there were a lot of conservatives, not your usual America-critics, among those that mainly criticized Angela Merkel's comments that she felt joy. A lot of Christians in the Christian Democratic Union, Merkel's party, said it was unwarranted for a Christian to feel joy at the killing of a human.

The other comments often aim at how this was an extrajudicial execution and how the "War on Terror" doesn't care for international conventions and laws and also ignores a lot of the basic tenets of rule of law by just declaring enemy combatants to be outlaws that can be killed at the whim of the military or executive. As that's similar to how the Nazis declared people void of rights and then proceeded to kill them, German lawtalkers, philosophers etc. are very worried about any hint of a slippery slope.

I gotta say I respect the "universalist legalist" stance that is so prevalent in German culture, even if it is annoying at times. German clients can be most annoying because they often want to be explained the entire principle and are not just happy with a Polish lawyer telling that that under Polish law "this works" (as opposed to French or American clients, who hardly ever want to hear the explanation and just want a two-sentence executive summary).

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, there is an earnest streak in German culture and I think we may have a good example here. Strictly speaking they are probably correct; it's just that most people are not so punctilious  :hmm:

Ed Anger

Dealing with Germans in business:  :yuk:

Anal retentive fucks.  :mad:

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2011, 10:21:21 AM

You've never had to do with the formalities around making money transfers to Russians or Ukrainians, I take it? Both countries are bureaucratic nightmares that make Germans look like laid back hippies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on May 06, 2011, 10:33:23 AM

You've never had to do with the formalities around making money transfers to Russians or Ukrainians, I take it? Both countries are bureaucratic nightmares that make Germans look like laid back hippies.

Never dealt with Russians. Nobody was confident of the quality of Russian built stuff.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2011, 10:39:25 AM

Never dealt with Russians. Nobody was confident of the quality of Russian built stuff.

Try to remember that next time you take medication that was tested, among others, by Russian doctors. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

There is a difference. Russians and Ukrainians hide behind bureaucratic rules (which often do not make sense) because they are averse to decision-taking, as the culture dissuades personal responsibility (elderly Poles, especially employed by the state enterprises, still show such qualities too).

Germans stick to the rules because they genuinely believe the sun would not raise on the next morning if they stopped.