[Canadian Election Results] Harper vs Iggy vs the 'stache

Started by Barrister, May 02, 2011, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Zoupa on May 06, 2011, 03:15:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2011, 03:11:03 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 06, 2011, 03:06:34 PM
I know all that my dear. My point is I don't think Iggy was full of shit. He said repeatedly during the campaign that he doesn't trust Harper with our democratic institutions.

Being found in contempt is pretty serious IMO. Obviously, not to 40% of canadians though.

You said IMO, which I can respect.  I found it meaningless, personally.  Nobody has ever been held in "contempt of Parliament" because the opposition invented it.

If you have a majority of votes in Parliament, you can declare anyone, anything.  You could be declared in contempt of Parliament tomorrow with 155 votes.

I can understand if Iggy didn't like, or didn't trust, Harper.  But he should know it doesn't matter what he thinks - it matters what he thinks the voters will do.

Sometimes you need to do what honor demands  :frog:

Professor Ignatieff has a certain panache, a je ne sais quoi. I don't expect you to understand.  :P

Yes. Which is why, to my credit, I always said since the beginning of the other thread, that Layton at least went by his principles. Even though, at the time it looked like a bad move for the NDP, and I even agreed, he still voted against the budget which his Party could not agree to as it stood.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on May 06, 2011, 03:15:33 PM
Sometimes you need to do what honor demands  :frog:

Professor Ignatieff has a certain panache, a je ne sais quoi. I don't expect you to understand.  :P

Trust me, nobody understands betetr than I running a battle (e.g. a trial or a bail hearing) that I expect to lose, merely because circumstances demand that it must be done.   :bowler:

But I have my doubts that makes for very good political strategy however.  I would be disappointed if the election were held merely because the Liberals and NDP were trapped by their own rehetoric, although that does seem to be what happened. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on May 06, 2011, 03:03:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2011, 11:13:54 AM

Yep, fact is 40% of the popular vote is considered a healthy majority by Canadian standards.  50% is almost impossible to achieve.  Ironically for the left the last two governments to achieve that were both Conservative.

Also, Josephus should apply the same math to the percentage of people who voted for the NDP....

Huh what?

Now you are just being stupid.  Do you have any idea what % of the vote majority government usually get in this country?

That last one to get 50% was Mulroney the time before that was Def the Chief.  So

Huh what? right back at you.

and here is a handy chart for you.  http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/1867-2004.html

you will notice a lot of majorities are elected with 40% or less - at least in the modern era after the NDP entered the fray.

Zoupa

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2011, 04:00:05 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 06, 2011, 03:03:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 06, 2011, 11:13:54 AM

Yep, fact is 40% of the popular vote is considered a healthy majority by Canadian standards.  50% is almost impossible to achieve.  Ironically for the left the last two governments to achieve that were both Conservative.

Also, Josephus should apply the same math to the percentage of people who voted for the NDP....

Huh what?

Now you are just being stupid.  Do you have any idea what % of the vote majority government usually get in this country?

That last one to get 50% was Mulroney the time before that was Def the Chief.  So

Huh what? right back at you.

and here is a handy chart for you.  http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/1867-2004.html

you will notice a lot of majorities are elected with 40% or less - at least in the modern era after the NDP entered the fray.

I know 40% is usually the magic number. I didn't know Mulroney got 50%. Why don't you calm the fuck down man.

Seriously, tone it down. You're coming across more and more as an arrogant asshole.

Jesus.