Because Euroweenism deserves its own MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 06, 2011, 06:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I also love how this article insinuates that a single German commentator = all Germans = all Central Europeans = all Europeans.

This is a pretty pathetic piece of pseudo-journalist crap, that's why I would be interested where it was published.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 08:59:07 AM
I also love how this article insinuates that a single German commentator = all Germans = all Central Europeans = all Europeans.

This is a pretty pathetic piece of pseudo-journalist crap, that's why I would be interested where it was published.

WaPo OpEd:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/obamas-fickle-european-fans/2011/03/04/AFg6O40F_blog.html
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Incidentally, from what I could gather both in Poland and rest of Europe, the overwhelming take in Europe on Osama's death is this:

Q: What do you think about Osama's death?
A: It is a good thing, but the political ramifications are probably overhyped.

Q: What do you think about the view that he should have been brought to trial?
A: Would probably look better, but most likely unrealistic.

Q: What do you think about Americans cheering in the streets?
A: Somewhat tacky, but psychologically understandeable.

Martinus

Also, the consensus among the talking heads seems to be that the international law basis for the operation was rather grey-ish but noone is going to make a fuss about it.

Valmy

I get that it is the usual nutty anti-American douchebags.  They just piss me off.

I mean the Muslim world is really going to get angry over Osama being killed?  Yet this is not the first time I heard this crap.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 09:10:22 AM
Also, the consensus among the talking heads seems to be that the international law basis for the operation was rather grey-ish but noone is going to make a fuss about it.

Well, I think the international law about counter terrorism in general is pretty damn greyish. Which maybe is for the best.

I cannot imagine any actual international law that could be put together that would allow the US to, for example, launch missile strikes into other sovereign nations that we are not even at war with, and who is not "officially" harboring the targets, and has not even given technical permission for the US to launch said strikes.

On the other hand, I cannot really fathom the idea that the US (or any nation for that matter) would have its hands tied when it comes to acting against terrorists if they manage to get themselves into some fucked up nation like Pakistan.

Seems like the best solution (albeit not a "good" solution) is to leave it all rather murky...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 09:15:44 AM
I get that it is the usual nutty anti-American douchebags.  They just piss me off.

I mean the Muslim world is really going to get angry over Osama being killed?  Yet this is not the first time I heard this crap.

Is there any evidence that the Muslim world is, in fact, really angry about Osama's death?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2011, 09:15:44 AM

Ok, but remember it next time when you guys jump on me for being pissed off at "Americans" for doing something racist or anti-gay.

Cecil

Well I havent heard anyone over here kicking up any fuss over Osama being shot in the face repeatedly. Maybe a few lefties but noone listens to them these days anyway.

Richard Hakluyt

Nobody seems to be bothered here either, and that includes the 10% or so that are muslims.

Zanza2

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 08:59:07 AM
I also love how this article insinuates that a single German commentator = all Germans
While "all Germans" is of course an unwarranted generalization, there was a considerable amount of comments like the one from Schönenborn, who by the way is a mainstream journalist, in respectable media outlets. So it is fair enough to pick him as an example of the general media echo. Caveat: I have only seen the headlines and not read those comments, so maybe I am generalizing here too.

Angela Merkel's comment was retarded. She should know that by law she is not allowed to be happy about someone being killed. In her official function she is supposed to uphold the values of our constitution, which thanks to our not so nice past, values every life, no matter what.

But it was a quite slow newsweek here so that might explain it. There were also quite a few sensationalist TV shows on the "top secret, ultra hard bla bla superlative" Navy SEALs in German TV, something not usually shown on any mainstream channels.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 06, 2011, 09:23:07 AM
Ok, but remember it next time when you guys jump on me for being pissed off at "Americans" for doing something racist or anti-gay.

I never said jackshit about Euros I was talking specifically about the dude doing the saying.  If you want to be pissed off at any specific Americans for doing racist things or anti-gay things be my guest.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 06, 2011, 09:19:22 AM
Is there any evidence that the Muslim world is, in fact, really angry about Osama's death?

Nope.  There might have been back when his reputation was 'Hammer of the Soviets' but the world has moved on.

PDH

Valmy is good in a rage. You should see when Texas football sucks for a quarter and a half. THAT is real rage.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM