News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

AT&T starts capping broadband

Started by Caliga, May 04, 2011, 09:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I will probably get 2.0 when the Polish mobile companies start offering it with the mobile plan (they only offer 1.0 now and you can get 2.0 in iSpots and electronic equipment chains like Saturn or Media Markt). My current 1.0 is wifi only so if I am going to upgrade, I will do it only for the 3G version, and getting a 3G version without a mobile plan is too expensive.

Neil

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 05, 2011, 09:43:37 AM
I can't believe these freaking speeds you Euros are getting.  POS RCN gave me a whopping 7 something with the ethernet.   <_<
There are some things that the free market doesn't do very well.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Cecil

Quote from: Neil on May 05, 2011, 12:40:14 PM
I can't believe these freaking speeds you Euros are getting.  POS RCN gave me a whopping 7 something with the ethernet.   <_<

Infrastructure investments?

Though a lot of/most of the broadband net here in the cold north was built by private companies and not the state.

Pat

Yup exactly. We get good, cheap broadband largely because of state subsidies in the required infrastructure.

Cecil

Quote from: Pat on May 05, 2011, 01:28:33 PM

Yup exactly. We get good, cheap broadband largely because of state subsidies in the required infrastructure.

How large was the overall subsidies when the net was layed?

Pat

Looked it up. Around 2000 (relevant proposition prop.
1999/2000:86) there were 1900 million SEK assigned for networks to be built connecting the main communities in all communes (290 communes in Sweden) and 1200 million for so-called access nets (presumably the nets to the consumers?). This was cheaper than expected, the original budget was 1,9 billion for commune-connecting nets and 3,2 billion for access nets. In today's exchange rate 1 billion sek = 161 million usd (though the usd was worth more at the time, if it matters). Sweden is the size of California and has 9 m. people.

(Source in Swedish: http://liu.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2:20829, p. 50)

In a 2006 OECD comparison Sweden had the cheapest entry-level broadband.

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6900697.stm)

derspiess

I can't believe these freaking speeds you Euros are getting.  POS RCN gave me a whopping 7 something with the ethernet.   <_<

Like getting people to buy stuff they don't want?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on May 05, 2011, 04:22:26 PM
People seem to want the internet, oddly enough.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Actually, it does that very well, indeed.  It's called "advertising."  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

More like getting people to invest in non-excludable infrastructure.

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2011, 05:59:40 PM

More like getting people to invest in non-excludable infrastructure.

Why bother when the government has proven it will do so time and again?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

It's not at all wrong for the government to invest in non-excludable infrastructure, due to the positive externalities involved.  Non-exludable infrastructure is one of the basic market failures, on their own companies would under-invest in infrastructure, because they don't capture all the benefits from it.