News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TBR

Started by Martinus, May 04, 2011, 02:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Is TBR back up?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2011, 03:10:44 PM
Yeah, well, I feel sorry for him. And I thought I wouldn't be *that* guy when I watched Queer As Folk, as dumb and naive as it sounds (there is a character there in a long term relationship with a HIV positive partner).

How does that work?
Especially in the days before gay marriage (marriage kills sex apparently :p).
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

I think I lost my TBR access when the forums were reset.
Though TBH it's not really a big deal to me.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Brazen

Mart, I thought you had a regular partner. Or two.

Don't do what you don't feel comfortable with. You'd basically have to maintain the same level of caution you would with a new partner forever and not only would it feed your hypochondria, you'd never be able to get properly intimate.

Brazen

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 04, 2011, 03:39:03 PM
Norgy style?
Perhaps "Norwegian cancer" should enter the urban dictionary as slang for alcoholism.

Viking

Quote from: Brazen on May 05, 2011, 03:11:45 AM
Norgy style?
Perhaps "Norwegian cancer" should enter the urban dictionary as slang for alcoholism.

I'd pick other pathologies.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Brazen on May 05, 2011, 03:11:45 AM
Norgy style?

:lol:

Uncool.  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on May 05, 2011, 03:10:29 AM
you'd never be able to get properly intimate.

?

Oh is an uncovered penis up your ass what you consider properly intimate?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2011, 06:44:23 AM

I think she means his phobia will be an emotional barrier.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2011, 07:41:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2011, 06:44:23 AM

I think she means his phobia will be an emotional barrier.

Maybe, although she said "get" not "feel" which suggested to me a physical act.

Capetan Mihali

Hmmm, I ended up in a YouTube spiral a few nights ago watching some documentaries exploring to what extent "bugchasing" is a real phenomenon in the US and UK.  The sunnier and more relevant aspect was that there were a lot of interviews with negative/positive couples talking about HIV etc. and the issue of getting infected didn't come up once.  The real strain on the relationships was the confrontation with mortality, the worry about the positive partner getting really sick, etc.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

dps

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 05, 2011, 09:07:09 AM
Hmmm, I ended up in a YouTube spiral a few nights ago watching some documentaries exploring to what extent "bugchasing" is a real phenomenon in the US and UK.  The sunnier and more relevant aspect was that there were a lot of interviews with negative/positive couples talking about HIV etc. and the issue of getting infected didn't come up once.  The real strain on the relationships was the confrontation with mortality, the worry about the positive partner getting really sick, etc.

I don't mean this to be mean-spirited or flip, but Marty, based on his Languish persona at least, doesn't seem like the type who'd be willing to care for a seriously ill partner.

Granted, based just on our Languish personas, that could be said of many of us.  But if you were to make a list of the posters who would be the most unwilling, he'd be high on the list.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2011, 10:10:09 AM
Quote from: dps on May 05, 2011, 09:47:55 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 05, 2011, 09:07:09 AM

I don't mean this to be mean-spirited or flip, but Marty, based on his Languish persona at least, doesn't seem like the type who'd be willing to care for a seriously ill partner.

Granted, based just on our Languish personas, that could be said of many of us.  But if you were to make a list of the posters who would be the most unwilling, he'd be high on the list.

*shrug* I guess you are wrong.

Well, good for you.

People who have met you outside of Languish have said that your RL personality isn't all that much like your Languish personality, which is why I qualified my remarks as being about your Languish personality.