And we're back!

Main Menu

Osama is dead

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 02, 2011, 02:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2011, 10:44:26 PM
Where was this?

derstandard.at, a leftist mainstream paper in Austria, targeted at liberal intellectual wannabes, BoBos and "Gutmenschen" (people who are for human rights, against violence, for immigration, for helping the weak etc. while often displaying a moral superiority complex  .... usually all talk, though, no action).

Comments on, say, Die Presse (Conservative paper), aren't better, though, and there's probably an overlap of posters between the two. In general I avoid reading comments to news stories, because, as R.Hakluyt said, it's better for the blood pressure.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2011, 10:58:39 PM
Where was this?

derstandard.at, a leftist mainstream paper in Austria, targeted at liberal intellectual wannabes, BoBos and "Gutmenschen" (people who are for human rights, against violence, for immigration, for helping the weak etc. while often displaying a moral superiority complex  .... usually all talk, though, no action).

Comments on, say, Die Presse (Conservative paper), aren't better, though, and there's probably an overlap of posters between the two. In general I avoid reading comments to news stories, because, as R.Hakluyt said, it's better for the blood pressure.

It's a good idea to avoid these sorts of things.  They tend to have very high concentrated stupidity.  I doubt you'll find many leftist in the US that will criticize the military action here.  Only the extreme moonbats.  Fuck, even the conservatives who hate Obama with a purple passion tipped their hats to the President.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2011, 11:42:32 PM

It's a good idea to avoid these sorts of things.  They tend to have very high concentrated stupidity.  I doubt you'll find many leftist in the US that will criticize the military action here.  Only the extreme moonbats.  Fuck, even the conservatives who hate Obama with a purple passion tipped their hats to the President.

Where is Fireblade anyways?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2011, 10:24:45 AM
I am sort of honored to be compared to the Roman Empire  :)

Does it mean you will be brought down by the gays? :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2011, 10:58:39 PM
Where was this?

Described sometimes as the chattering classes  :D

lustindarkness

Quote"Interesting what the U.S. can achive when the PS3 network is down ..."

:lol:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on May 02, 2011, 11:43:39 PMWhere is Fireblade anyways?
He's busy bailing out his backyard. :contract:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 02, 2011, 11:42:32 PM
It's a good idea to avoid these sorts of things.  They tend to have very high concentrated stupidity.

Dunno-- I kinda find it fascinating.  Particularly when you have an otherwise sane, educated person who ought to know better. 

QuoteI doubt you'll find many leftist in the US that will criticize the military action here.  Only the extreme moonbats.

It's kind of a nice change of pace to see my lefty friends (yes, I have a few) pump their fists, all excited about a military action such as this. 

QuoteFuck, even the conservatives who hate Obama with a purple passion tipped their hats to the President.

Credit where it's due.  Just wish I could find more things to agree with him on :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on May 03, 2011, 05:04:21 AM

Dunno if I've ever experienced a 2-week period with more rain.  I have water collecting in my back yard, and I live on the side of a hill.

Of course, come late June we'll be praying for rain & I'll be too lazy to water my lawn :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2011, 10:41:58 PM
Some nuttier comments I've read this morning:
- "Great, now North African countries will be opened for the corporations!" - "But only where there's any resources!" (Huh??)
- "All orchestrated. OBL never existed. They only killed him off now to create a new major terror attack and have a new villain after the old one got boring."
- "How shall we believe that OBL is indeed dead, since all we have is the 'proof' from a country that has been proven to lie time and time again (Iraq)!"
- "What happened that the Americans don't need Osama anymore? What's the next chapter in this soap opera?"

It's kinda sad how many posters seem to think the War on Terror(tm) and Osama's existence are an American plot.
Heh, given their conspiracy views and intellectual blinders,  I guess these folks just don't count. Hopefully, there aren't that many of them.    :moon:

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on May 03, 2011, 10:56:02 AM
Dunno if I've ever experienced a 2-week period with more rain.  I have water collecting in my back yard, and I live on the side of a hill.
Same... now Princesca is worried that the septic system is backing up. :yuk:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on May 03, 2011, 11:01:02 AM
Same... now Princesca is worried that the septic system is backing up. :yuk:

Her daddy taught her good?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on May 03, 2011, 05:04:21 AM

Of course, come late June we'll be praying for rain & I'll be too lazy to water my lawn :rolleyes:
It's actually been pretty dry here in Massachusetts. Some Spring rains but not heavy or over a long period; nothing like the last two years. I can expect a good amount of rain in early May but usually, I think, we've already had a lot of rain by the time May comes around.