News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tea Party!

Started by Savonarola, April 15, 2009, 02:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 04:05:00 PM
Man, you guys are like Poles. It's dreadful.

I wish my compatriots were more like Brits or Germans.  :(

You are Russian.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 03:58:35 PM
Didn't Obama actually lower taxes for 95% of Americans?
I think that's a campaign statistic that's not wholly grounded in fact if you take the cumulative effect of his changes to taxes - though definitely they will, if his tax plan is followed, be cut for the majority - roughly the taxes on the rich are going to the levels they were at under Clinton.

Whether cutting tax for that number of people is a good thing is a different question.  I actually think the tax system in the US should include more income-earners.  But, outside of Ireland, no politician will say that, for obvious reasons.

If he has not already part of his stimulis strategy is to lower taxes
Well 52% (I believe) of the stimulus was tax cuts/breaks, so I think that was a big part of his tax promises.  Though I could be wrong and it could be separate.

QuoteWe have alot of Anarcho-Liberalism in our country.  Alot of people just hate authority in any guise, particularly that which takes their money.
But I don't think that would describe this protest.  Or it would just be people who voted for Ron Paul.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Speaking of comparisons to Poland, American anarcho-liberalism flourished because you guys faced no real challenge on your continent - unlike, say, Poland, sandwiched between Russia and Prussia, where our anarcho-liberalism led to our downfall.

Do you think that in the age of globalisation, when China or Russia are much "closer" now (enough to be a threat) you guys will need to change your attitude or succumb like the Polish Commonwealth of old?

fhdz

Man, you guys are like Poles.

Not really.  Except for the places where there are lots of people of Polish ancestry.  Those guys are like Poles.  Kind of.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Quote from: fahdiz on April 16, 2009, 04:11:16 PM
Man, you guys are like Poles.

Not really.  Except for the places where there are lots of people of Polish ancestry.  Those guys are like Poles.  Kind of.

They have ascended to being American. They lose the gene that makes them want to put screen doors on submarines and charge tanks on a horse with a lance.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

vinraith

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 04:01:00 PM
Didn't Obama actually lower taxes for 95% of Americans?

If he has not already part of his stimulis strategy is to lower taxes...but I have my doubts this is a good idea with the budget situation being what it is.

He has. Check the federal tax withholding on your April paycheck(s), it should be lower than for the last few years.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 04:07:55 PM
Speaking of comparisons to Poland, American anarcho-liberalism flourished because you guys faced no real challenge on your continent - unlike, say, Poland, sandwiched between Russia and Prussia, where our anarcho-liberalism led to our downfall.

Do you think that in the age of globalisation, when China or Russia are much "closer" now (enough to be a threat) you guys will need to change your attitude or succumb like the Polish Commonwealth of old?

Somehow I don't think Russia and China will be partioning the US anytime soon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

So, the protest is not about what Obama has actually done or promised to do, but what he will surely do, being a communist traitor he is?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: vinraith on April 16, 2009, 04:24:16 PM
He has. Check the federal tax withholding on your April paycheck(s), it should be lower than for the last few years.
Temporary if I'm not mistaken.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2009, 04:29:44 PM
Quote from: vinraith on April 16, 2009, 04:24:16 PM
Temporary if I'm not mistaken.

An odd statement since tax cuts are also temporary.  What do you care?  You don't pay taxes in the first place!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Learn to fucking quote.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2009, 04:35:28 PM
An odd statement since tax cuts are also temporary.  What do you care?  You don't pay taxes in the first place!
Normal tax cuts are temporary in the sense that any law is temporary, they can all be changed by future acts of Congress.  This one is temporary in the sense that it already has an end date built into the law.  Again, if I have my facts straigt.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 04:29:02 PM
So, the protest is not about what Obama has actually done or promised to do, but what he will surely do, being a communist traitor he is?

There might be other factors in there.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2009, 04:38:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2009, 04:35:28 PM
Normal tax cuts are temporary in the sense that any law is temporary, they can all be changed by future acts of Congress.  This one is temporary in the sense that it already has an end date built into the law.  Again, if I have my facts straigt.

The Bush tax cuts had an end date built in I believe.

Razgovory