Main Menu

Tea Party!

Started by Savonarola, April 15, 2009, 02:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2009, 01:53:08 PM
Quote from: KRonn on April 16, 2009, 08:47:35 AM
we finally have regular people protesting

Regular people in the US carry pro Fox News signs?  How did Obama get elected?

All the people protesting were carrying pro-Fox News signs? :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Obama is spreading socialfascicommunislamism to America.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2009, 01:59:46 PM

Did I saw all?  From the pictures posted earlier I saw a number of them.   If these are all"regular" folks then my question stands.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2009, 02:14:18 PM

Did I saw all?  From the pictures posted earlier I saw a number of them.   If these are all"regular" folks then my question stands.

Seems that you implied all, since KRonn never claimed every single person in the protest was a regular person.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

The people with the kookiest signs get the most media attention.  That's the way it has worked for at least since Reagan; why would now be any different?

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2009, 02:14:18 PM

Did I saw all?  From the pictures posted earlier I saw a number of them.   If these are all"regular" folks then my question stands.
I never said all were regular folks. I even mentioned the loons with the "Impeach Obama" signs and other stuff. Same extremes as you get at left wing rallies, anti war rallies (Bush=Hitler), what ever rallies. My view and feeling is that many regular people are angry over the economy, how government has been operating, taxes, and more - finally fed up enough to start showing it. But seems many of you are intent on showing the protests as all radical right wingers, Obama haters, or what ever. Of course some are, but don't discount this as something by radicals. Taxpayers and voters are angry. It's late, and they should have been just as vocal during the Bush tax and spend years too. 

But as I've said, again, what's been going on with the economy, bail outs, and all has been a lot more visible and under a microscope in the media and in people's minds than it was under the Bush admin. So more annoyance, late, but there. And of course the Repubs will make as much of it that they can, along with the populists. It will be to their detriment to drag out every little thing Obama does as a negative, at least in my view. Would be a fast way to discredit the Repubs even more.

Just my view. We all can come up with our conspiracy theories, blame Fox news, Bush=Hitler or what ever. But talk to your friends and neighbors. Don't you find that people are quite a bit annoyed over what's been going on with government, bail outs, economy and the causes for the meltdown? And as I've said already in this thread, some of these same issues we've all been talking about for months. So why is it any surprise that some protests are starting? And why label/dismiss them all as radical righties?

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on April 16, 2009, 02:28:24 PM

I never said all were regular folks. I even mentioned the loons with the "Impeach Obama" signs and other stuff. Same extremes as you get at left wing rallies, anti war rallies (Bush=Hitler), what ever rallies. My view and feeling is that many regular people are angry over the economy, how government has been operating, taxes, and more - finally fed up enough to start showing it. But seems many of you are intent on showing the protests as all radical right wingers, Obama haters, or what ever. Of course some are, but don't discount this as something by radicals. Taxpayers and voters are angry. It's late, and they should have been just as vocal during the Bush tax and spend years too. 

But as I've said, again, what's been going on with the economy, bail outs, and all has been a lot more visible and under a microscope in the media and in people's minds than it was under the Bush admin. So more annoyance, late, but there. And of course the Repubs will make as much of it that they can, along with the populists. It will be to their detriment to drag out every little thing Obama does as a negative, at least in my view. Would be a fast way to discredit the Repubs even more.

Just my view. We all can come up with our conspiracy theories, blame Fox news, Bush=Hitler or what ever. But talk to your friends and neighbors. Don't you find that people are quite a bit annoyed over what's been going on with government, bail outs, economy and the causes for the meltdown? And as I've said already in this thread, some of these same issues we've all been talking about for months. So why is it any surprise that some protests are starting? And why label/dismiss them all as radical righties?

Wait, you seem to imply that those crowds who protested the war were not "normal" people.  It's fine to dismiss them as crazy radicals but it's totally unfair to dismiss this much smaller protest as crazy radicals. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Btw, who actually organized this whole thing?  I heard it was the Constitution party.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

QuoteMy view and feeling is that many regular people are angry over the economy, how government has been operating, taxes, and more - finally fed up enough to start showing it.

I would like to think this is true but I do not buy it.  None of the things I have been hearing have anything to do with the actual problems.  They are just the same old ancient slogans about not wanting to pay taxes and how big government is bad.  They do not really seem to be addressing the current crisis.  It strikes me as rather ignorant populist slogans...but then I suppose that is going to always be true in mass demonstrations.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2009, 03:24:52 PM
Btw, who actually organized this whole thing?  I heard it was the Constitution party.

AFAIK, they were not really centrally organized. 

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 03:28:53 PM
I would like to think this is true but I do not buy it.  None of the things I have been hearing have anything to do with the actual problems.  They are just the same old ancient slogans about not wanting to pay taxes and how big government is bad.  They do not really seem to be addressing the current crisis.  It strikes me as rather ignorant populist slogans...but then I suppose that is going to always be true in mass demonstrations.

Interesting.  You think protesting the expansion of government is populism?

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2009, 03:31:01 PM

It definitely can be.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2009, 03:31:01 PM

Anything can be populism.  It is a style.

Ed Anger

Right now, Keith Olbermann is shaking his tiny, impotent fists and cursing God over these tea parties.

Therefore, they get my Ed Anger Seal of Approval(tm), as anything that pisses him off is a good thing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive