How Many Mississippi Voters Wish the South Had Won the Civil War?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 28, 2011, 09:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Mew!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel/archive/2011/04/25/how-many-mississippi-voters-wish-the-south-had-won-the-civil-war.aspx

How Many Mississippi Voters Wish the South Had Won the Civil War?
Posted Monday, April 25, 2011 2:03 PM | By David Weigel

Public Policy Polling has the number of the day:

Screen shot 2011-04-25 at 2.07.42 PM

Thirty-eight percent of Republicans! Twenty-two percent of Democrats -- which is really something when you consider that the Democratic vote in federal elections is mostly black.

I can't get enough of these Public Policy Polling surveys, and to tell the truth I wish they were doing more. How many Republicans in North Dakota think that Barack Obama might be the antichrist? How many Democrats in Cook County, Illinois think the planes that hit the World Trade Center were actually holograms? How many people think tax cuts always increase revenue?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Lettow77

The South has fallen pretty far to come up with only these numbers, but this is enough patriots to form the basis for independence.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Well in defense of the South, Mississippi is by far the dumbest state there.  And I'm including Arkansas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

Mississippi is glorious, raz!

Second only to South Carolina!

Siege

Hey, I am living in Tennesse!
Fort Campbell is right in thee border between Tennesse and Kentucky.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Lettow77

I am presently in the northwest part of TN, on the KY border as well- we are reasonably close.

Be careful- it isn't really a very fortuitous place to have your fort.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_GAMSNC_0421.pdf
Here are the full results of the poll, in the interests of disclosure.

Looking at the results, it is heartening to see that the 18-29 generation is more in line with voters 65+, and the baleful generations in between have not been able to effectively transmit their opinions.

citizen k

Camerus

What % of Mississippians were in favour of secession in the first place...?

Lettow77

The number of people polled is so small, though, that I am not really sure what should be done with it.

also, it's disheartening y'all actually speak approvingly of attacking people who support breaking off from the union- whither democracy?

Edit: Mississippi's legislature voted 84-15 to secede, in 1860.

Razgovory

Quote from: citizen k on April 28, 2011, 10:16:53 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 09:58:43 PM
... but this is enough patriots to form the basis for independence.

Or an FBI/ATF raid.

Hopefully this time when they do a surprise raid they don't tell reporters about it before hand.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 10:20:34 PM
The number of people polled is so small, though, that I am not really sure what should be done with it.

also, it's disheartening y'all actually speak approvingly of attacking people who support breaking off from the union- whither democracy?

Secession is contrary to the principles of Democracy.

Lettow77

Habbaku

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 10:23:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2011, 10:21:33 PM
Secession is contrary to the principles of Democracy.

How so?

Democracy is all about majority rule.  Minorities breaking free goes against that.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Lettow77

Democracy is all about consent of the governed. Being unable to withdraw consent makes consent a meaningless concept.

America latched to China would be a tyranny of China, essentially. Saying America's right to withdraw from such a hypothetical union because that's be undemocratic is absurd.