How Many Mississippi Voters Wish the South Had Won the Civil War?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 28, 2011, 09:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on April 28, 2011, 10:57:21 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 10:20:34 PM
also, it's disheartening y'all actually speak approvingly of attacking people who support breaking off from the union- whither democracy?

In 1861 55% of the population of Mississippi were slaves.  Real Democratic there.

To be fair, in 1861 roughly half the people in every Union state (Confederate too, of course) were women, and couldn't vote either.  :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on April 29, 2011, 12:23:53 AM
The diference between you and me, is that you think caution can save your skin.

Does this mean you photoshop bunny ears and a tail on your Miley pics?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

Please, don't be absurd!
Cat ears show her to be demure, fickle, elegant, energetic- she is a mercurial thing, self-assured in her sexuality but also with an unattainable aura of refinement

Usagimimi, rather, show her to be a cheap slut. Stick with the cat ears.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

Ratification of the Constitution is a holy covenant, Lettow.  You break it, you must be purged with fire.

grumbler

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 11:01:25 PM
They weren't citizens of the state- they had no role in the democracy, and were hardly unique in this respect.
The denizens of the South had declared themselves non-citizens of the US in declaring themselves independent, and so had no role in democracy any longer.  Therefor it wasn't a violation of democracy to reclaim national territory from them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: Siege on April 28, 2011, 10:08:43 PM
Hey, I am living in Tennesse!
Fort Campbell is right in thee border between Tennesse and Kentucky.

If you can't kill Ayraæbs and Mooslimbs anymore will Jew Hatin' Rednex do?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

The good thing about Mississippi? It makes Alabama look good.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josquius

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 09:58:43 PM
The South has fallen pretty far to come up with only these numbers, but this is enough patriots to form the basis for independence.
A minority?
Its not really.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 28, 2011, 11:41:57 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 11:23:41 PM
That's quite fine. I am a gentleman of letters- I could die bravely, I think, but I would never be a good soldier. Not enough discipline, or physical endurance either.

I think with some preparation I sure could get through basic, but i'll leave the posturing to you. You are one of this century's valiant warriors, after all :3

Actually, I see myself as a last century soldier.
I do not consider myself a warrior, since "warrior" in my original little corner of the world mean undisciplined dudes with weapons.
I am a professional of the sword, I do this for a living. I am a professional soldier.
I live by the rules, the "profession of arms", and the US Army values.

Can you survive basic training?
Of course. It is not that hard.
It is your mental actitud which I doubt.
You see, there is no room for the Confederancy in the real world.
Any wanna-be Timothy McVeigh will be crushed.

The Army will either make you a better human being, or break you.
You will be either be willing to fucking DIE for your fellow soldiers, to your left or right,
or you will descend into shit and drugs and find yourself chaptered out of the Army
with an dishonorable discharge, with no benefits and no GI Bill.

Oh come now, lots of people muddle through the army.  Not everyone is on the front lines fighting.  Still, I think the physical exertion and regimentation my do his mind some good.  Clear some of the cobwebs and help him focus on other stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

The South has fallen pretty far to come up with only these numbers, but this is enough patriots to form the basis for independence.

Likewise, going by the handful of Mississippians I know (Scippy being the lone exception), I'm surprised it's not worse than this.

For those that did wish the South had won, I think that's just some residual sentimentality and an expression of regional pride more than a deep-seeded desire for a Confederacy.  I think if most of them thought through all the ramifications (or were forced to live through them), they'd be less likely to long for it.

I do get a kick out of having a southern redneck-type explain to me how they reconcile their US patriotism with their propensity to fly or display the confederate flag. 

Btw, with all the controversy surrounding the confederate flag, I think a great compromise would be for southerners to switch to the actual first national flag ("Stars & Bars") of the Confederacy rather than the battle flag.  That way, they'd still get to display their Confederate pride or whatever, and hardly anyone else would have a clue as to what the hell the flag represents.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 29, 2011, 10:05:05 AM
Btw, with all the controversy surrounding the confederate flag, I think a great compromise would be for southerners to switch to the actual first national flag ("Stars & Bars") of the Confederacy rather than the battle flag.  That way, they'd still get to display their Confederate pride or whatever, and hardly anyone else would have a clue as to what the hell the flag represents.

This is exactly what Texas does for the 'Six Flags Over Texas'.  We never use the battle flag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_flags_over_Texas
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on April 29, 2011, 10:05:05 AM

Likewise, going by the handful of Mississippians I know (Scippy being the lone exception), I'm surprised it's not worse than this.

For those that did wish the South had won, I think that's just some residual sentimentality and an expression of regional pride more than a deep-seeded desire for a Confederacy.  I think if most of them thought through all the ramifications (or were forced to live through them), they'd be less likely to long for it.

Ramifications like Atlanta being firebombed by B-52s. :hmm:

I dunno, they have a nice aquarium, and a Six Flags.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)