News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Siege Update

Started by Siege, April 28, 2011, 05:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Well, it is official. I am in the 101st Airborne Division, The Screaming Eagles. I'm in the 3rd Brigade, The Rakkasans, in the 3-187th Infantry Battalion, Iron Rakkasans.
Now, guess what company and platoon I am.
Yep, once again I am in the Battalion's Reconanssance Platoon, as the Battalion's senior sniper, as the sniper section leader. My new call-sign, is Raptor Leader. *chicken dance folllows*
When the Battalion CSM (command sergeant major) saw my ERB he was like, "I need your ass in Recon!".
My service record with the US Army alone, gives me an oportunity to be at the point of the spear wherever I go.

You go to war, but combat comes to you. You have to place yourself at the decision point, in the platoon that will make contact first, the platoon that will hunt down the enemy high value targets, where you know shit will happen, so you can make a diference.

I don't like my call sign though. I'm gonna change it for Raptor 1, or something. I like numbers in call signs.

So, the Recon Platoon is being reset, so I;m gonna make a selection course for all volunteers in the Battalion that want to be snipers. I'm gonna mold them the right way, train them and send them to Sniper School. Half of them will fail, but that's the way Sniper School is. Of the 40 dudes in my class only 16 graduated. They certainly don't make it easy. Too much is at stake.

Anyway, I got here to Fort Campbell on April 5, I wasted a week at the Reception Company, doing the in-processing to my new duty station, and here I am.

Next deployment?
Its gonna be on the second half of 2012. My wife is happy, I am pissed.
I fear the war in Afghanistan might be over before I get an oportunity to deploy and wage war on Islam once again. A diferent war, a diferent country, the same old smelly enemy.

And Pesach is over and I can drink beer again!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jacob

I think you should change your call-sign to "Warrior Jew" if you can.

Anyhow, you'll enjoy training those guys, and don't worry... there'll always be a war going on somewhere.

Razgovory

Is the 101st the ones that jump out of airplanes or the ones that ride helicopters?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2011, 05:13:24 PM
Is the 101st the ones that jump out of airplanes or the ones that ride helicopters?

Helicopters.

Siege

Or more properly, Air Assault!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2011, 05:11:38 PM

Should reference Masada IMO.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 28, 2011, 05:27:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2011, 05:11:38 PM

Should reference Masada IMO.

Masada 1

Perfect.

Jacob

Nah, they'll just think he's driving a Japanese car or something.

Caliga

Fort Campbell, eh?

We should meet up.  But promise not to kill me first. :blush:

P.S. I love the Jews. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Yeah the 101 isn't as cool as It use to be :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Can he go by 'Messiah'?  I think that's a good name for a sniper.

"Messiah, Messiah, save me!"

"Even your god cannot save you now, infidel.  Inshallah!"

*boom HEADSHOT*

"Thanks, Messiah.  Over."
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on April 28, 2011, 05:08:04 PM
Well, it is official. I am in the 101st Airborne Division, The Screaming Eagles. I'm in the 3rd Brigade, The Rakkasans, in the 3-187th Infantry Battalion, Iron Rakkasans.
Now, guess what company and platoon I am.
Yep, once again I am in the Battalion's Reconanssance Platoon, as the Battalion's senior sniper, as the sniper section leader. My new call-sign, is Raptor Leader. OPSEC Buster

fixed
When you get your new call sign, please do not reveal it here or anywhere else.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 28, 2011, 05:17:44 PM
What is an ERB?

Enlisted Record Brief.
The short form of enlisted soldiers service record.
ORB is the same for commissioned officers.

The ERB have all the relevant dates, schools attended, deployments, medals, etc.

It does not contain my confirmed kills, total number of combat missions, total number of air assault missions, or any tactical details.
Those you have to keep yourself in the form of sworn statements (DA Form 2823).
The Army does not keep records of confirmed kills anymore.
Sniper School does, but they cannot be submited by you. They have to be submitted by your Battalion S1 with the Battalion Commander's signature and contain all the DA Form 2823s related to the combat action in question.
Of my 22 kills with the US Army, only 16 have been actually atributed to me by sowrn statements by witnesses, and only 9 have been accepted by Sniper School as "confirmed kills".

Now, keep in mind that by Army regulations we have to make sworn statements for any action in which rounds were fired, wheather we killed anybody or not. In reality we take short-cuts and only make sworn statements when a body was recovered or a prisioner taken. That means that many firefights go unrecorded. But to have a "confirmed kill" by Sniper Records, you need an officer to witness your kill.

In general, when the firefights are too isolated or far too intense, the number of kills go unrecorded.
High intensity firefights means that nobody knows for sure who killed whom. They go recorded in general numbers but rarely with enough details to be able to use the sworn statements for confirmed kills.

Its the nature of the beast. We cannot change it.