News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Third Wave

Started by Alcibiades, April 27, 2011, 11:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2011, 08:34:42 AM
With one or two exceptions, I viewed my teachers as irrelevant pissants when I was in high school. :)
How symmetrical. :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 29, 2011, 06:29:47 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 28, 2011, 09:31:41 PM
Ditto.  I can think of one teacher in my high school who was liked & trusted enough by a few students to possibly pull this off.  He was the type that could sell just about any idea, but again only to certain students.  And if he were able to handpick his class, he could've pulled it off.  Otherwise, any one of his classes would have had dissenters.

Maybe it's a WV thing :D
I think that you have to keep in mind that (1) this was in 1967, when students were still expected to follow rules and authority figures still automatically received respect; (2) the changes were made incrementally; and (3) the teacher had a mechanism for dealing with "dissenters" that the dissenters didn't mind.  So, dissenters weren't a big issue, since they were "exiled" to the library.

And also remember that these are sophomores.  Not many sophomores have the self-confidence to go up against a teacher.

It was also probably fun.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

I think that you have to keep in mind that (1) this was in 1967, when students were still expected to follow rules and authority figures still automatically received respect;

I guess I'll have to concede this point, since I have no clue what the student-teacher dynamic was like in 1967. 

I wonder if we'll reach a point where some teacher tries to replicate this (I'm sure there are on-going attempts to do so) and it initially works, but backfires horribly.  Maybe I'm a bit too pessimistic, but I would think that as time passes teenage kids will become less sensitive to Holocaust images, the stigma of Hitler/Nazis, etc.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on April 29, 2011, 08:34:42 AM
With one or two exceptions, I viewed my teachers as irrelevant pissants when I was in high school. :)

I had both good and bad teachers.  Some of the really good ones really did impact the way I think about things.  Strangely one of the good teachers reminds me of Grumbler. :ph34r:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 29, 2011, 09:24:34 AM
I wonder if we'll reach a point where some teacher tries to replicate this (I'm sure there are on-going attempts to do so) and it initially works, but backfires horribly.  Maybe I'm a bit too pessimistic, but I would think that as time passes teenage kids will become less sensitive to Holocaust images, the stigma of Hitler/Nazis, etc.
I certainly don't think you need to invoke the Nazis to make this point.  How many Rwandan Hutus went along with that genocide?  How many Cubans or Venezuelans rat out their neighbors?  How many in Congress voted for the current US tax laws?  The issue is the ease with which groups can be made to do things that the individuals would not do for moral reasons if asked to do it by themselves.  In other words, how "all of us collectively are more evil than any of us individually."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on April 29, 2011, 09:32:03 AM
I certainly don't think you need to invoke the Nazis to make this point. 

Except that my point is precisely about the Holocaust & whether future generations of Americans will learn the same lessons from it that we have.

QuoteHow many Rwandan Hutus went along with that genocide?

A lot, I guess.  But frankly I have lower expectations for uneducated/unenlightened third worlders than I do for Westerners.

QuoteHow many Cubans or Venezuelans rat out their neighbors?

See above.  Okay, that was too harsh.  But my expectations are still lower for both-- though I used to have more faith in Venezuelans.

QuoteHow many in Congress voted for the current US tax laws?

:huh: 

QuoteThe issue is the ease with which groups can be made to do things that the individuals would not do for moral reasons if asked to do it by themselves.  In other words, how "all of us collectively are more evil than any of us individually."

I don't disagree with that, but I think we're looking at different issues.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: derspiess on April 29, 2011, 09:24:34 AM
I think that you have to keep in mind that (1) this was in 1967, when students were still expected to follow rules and authority figures still automatically received respect;

I guess I'll have to concede this point, since I have no clue what the student-teacher dynamic was like in 1967. 

I was in school at the time (well, almost--started 1st grade in 1968), and yeah, I think grumbler is right.  When I started grade school, teacher were obeyed, even if you didn't much like or respect them individually.  But by the time I was in high school, that was no longer true.  Now you might think that was just the difference between grade schoolers and high schoolers, but it wasn't.  My brother is 7 years younger than me, and the attitude towards teachers that his classmates had in 3rd grade was basically the same as my classmates had in 10th grade, and quite different from the way we had looked at them when we were in 3rd grade.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on April 29, 2011, 09:51:27 AM
Except that my point is precisely about the Holocaust & whether future generations of Americans will learn the same lessons from it that we have.
My guess is that most historical episodes seem less relevant as they get more distant.  We certainly didn't learn the same lessons from it as our parents, and our kids will learn different lessons than we.

QuoteI don't disagree with that, but I think we're looking at different issues.
We may well be, but I think I am looking at the issues that Jones was looking at with his experiment, and you are not.

Bayraktar!