Main Menu

The power of genetic diversity

Started by Slargos, April 25, 2011, 03:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 28, 2011, 05:52:38 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 28, 2011, 05:45:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2011, 05:30:02 PM
Seems pointless to argue about the borders of Europe and Asia.

I find geographical arguments like this entertaining, since there seems to be a lot of variation as to how world geography is taught in different parts of the world (e.g., the debate I started here a while back as to how many continents there are).
I've seen the Caucuasus referred to both ways (ie part of central asia and not).  It's an arbitrary characterization; couldn't care less either way.  If one wants to be literal, geographically speaking the center of Asia would be around Irkutsk; on a population weighting probably somewhere around Lhasa.
First time I saw it referenced as in Central Asia. Central Asia generally means the 'Stans
An Anglo and/or Yank thing?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 29, 2011, 02:55:10 AM
First time I saw it referenced as in Central Asia. Central Asia generally means the 'Stans

:unsure:

First hit I get when I google "central asia" and hit images:

http://centralasiaconnect.web.unc.edu/welcome/central_asia_map-2/
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 29, 2011, 08:51:55 AM

:lol: UNC? That's a new low in sources.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on April 29, 2011, 08:53:27 AM

:lol: UNC? That's a new low in sources.

Dunno-- they defied expectations & made it to the Final Four this year.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

There's Belarus in your Central Asian map :secret: though it is centered on the 'Stans.
Only the South/Lesser Caucasus states listed along with the 'Stans. Makes somewhat sense for Azerbaidjan (culturally) but not that much for Armenia and Georgia.  :hmm:

PS: The tabs above the map only refer to the 'Stans anyways.
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Tajikistan
Turkmenistan
Uzbekistan

The Minsky Moment

OK - I'm prepared to concede the point on this.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 29, 2011, 09:19:46 AM
I think the point is worth at least another dozen posts.  After all, the more irrelevant the issue, the more posts we see about it on languish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on April 29, 2011, 09:33:12 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 29, 2011, 09:19:46 AM

:(

Well, I agreed before with Minsky about the main point that Caucasian as a synonym for white was ridiculous so you shouldn't be sad for such a trivial detail ;)

Admiral Yi

If one wants to be literal, geographically speaking the center of Asia would be around Irkutsk; on a population weighting probably somewhere around Lhasa.

My guess is further south.  IINM Bangladesh has a larger population than Russia.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2011, 08:26:42 PM
If one wants to be literal, geographically speaking the center of Asia would be around Irkutsk; on a population weighting probably somewhere around Lhasa.

My guess is further south.  IINM Bangladesh has a larger population than Russia.
Especially if, as some believe, ABCD India has a larger population than China, and remember that EFGH Indonesia's population is greater than that of Russia or Pakistan.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos