Panetta to be named Def. Sec. and Petraeus to be named CIA Dir.

Started by Kleves, April 27, 2011, 09:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Obama hopes to buy Petraeus' loyalty with honors and high office. Will it be enough to prevent Petraeus from leading his legions across the Potomac and taking the purple?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/us/28team.html?_r=1&hp
QuoteWASHINGTON — President Obama is expected this week to name Leon E. Panetta, the director of central intelligence, as defense secretary and Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top American commander in Afghanistan, as director of the C.I.A., administration officials said Wednesday.

The appointments, set in motion by the impending retirement of Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, are part of a significant rearrangement of Mr. Obama's national security team that will include several new assignments within the closest circle of his diplomatic, military and intelligence advisers.

Mr. Gates is expected to step down this summer.

The changes at the top of Mr. Obama's national security team have long been expected.

Not long after Mr. Gates leaves, the term will expire for the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. Mike Mullen, who, like the defense secretary, was appointed by President George W. Bush. And Deputy Secretary of State James B. Steinberg has announced that he is leaving for an academic job — removing one of the crucial players in Mr. Obama's efforts to manage China's rise.

But Mr. Gates's role is the most critical. He often allied with Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton — who has said that she intends to leave the administration when this term ends — including persuading Mr. Obama to start the military buildup in Afghanistan in 2009. Together they won many other battles, but they visibly split last month on the military intervention in Libya.

In naming Mr. Panetta to the Pentagon, Mr. Obama is selecting an already confirmed cabinet official with strong ties to both the White House and Capitol Hill. In selecting  General Petraeus, who at least initially did not have a strong relationship with the Obama White House, the president is retaining a high-profile military official who has extensive knowledge of intelligence gathering in both Afghanistan and Iraq in recent years.

The president is also likely soon to nominate the veteran diplomat Ryan C. Crocker as the next United States ambassador to Afghanistan. That move would, at least for a while, reunite Mr. Crocker, a former ambassador to Iraq, with General Petraeus, with whom he worked closely in Iraq during the Bush administration
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

From what I've heard Panetta has done good work in the CIA.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2011, 09:20:50 AM
Yes, that's been the word. As for Petraeus, unless he was retiring I'm a bit sad to see him leave the Army where he's been instrumental and has had good effect in shaping military policy and anti-insurgency efforts.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: KRonn on April 27, 2011, 10:08:26 AM
Yes, that's been the word. As for Petraeus, unless he was retiring I'm a bit sad to see him leave the Army where he's been instrumental and has had good effect in shaping military policy and anti-insurgency efforts.

Now he's going to Langley where he can be absorbed into mediocrity and have no further effect whatsoever on anything.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza2

The article says that they need a new Joint Chief of Staff, too. Wouldn't that be the perfect position of a man like Petraeus?

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 27, 2011, 10:30:42 AM

Now he's going to Langley where he can be absorbed into mediocrity and have no further effect whatsoever on anything.

Very likely.  The CIA is much more "Washington" oriented then the military is.  I'm not sure if that would be the right position for Petraus.  To be honest both men were good where they were.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2011, 11:13:00 AM

Very likely.  The CIA is much more "Washington" oriented then the military is.  I'm not sure if that would be the right position for Petraus.  To be honest both men were good where they were.

CIA ain't what it used to be.  Uncle Donny and Uncle Dicky took care of that for the Cokehead-in-chief years ago.

Habbaku

Hey, did anyone hear about the reshuffle going on?  Supposedly, Petraeus is headed to the CIA and Panetta to the Pentagon?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on April 27, 2011, 08:11:48 PM
Hey, did anyone hear about the reshuffle going on?  Supposedly, Petraeus is headed to the CIA and Panetta to the Pentagon?

I hear they are blocking searches on it in China.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

citizen k

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 27, 2011, 08:16:47 PM

Why?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: citizen k on April 27, 2011, 08:28:48 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 27, 2011, 08:16:47 PM

Why?

Because of suckers like you.

Tonitrus

GHWB was head of CIA...might yet be a good stepping stone.

Jacob

Yeah, I was just going to say - isn't being head of the Intelligence agency one of the main stepping stones for the top job? I mean, just look at Bush and Putin.