What from your childhood would be UNTHINKABLE today?

Started by Malthus, April 15, 2009, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2009, 10:21:12 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 20, 2009, 09:58:07 AM
If a "little lead" never hurt anyone, why worry about it at all.
Because that's the sort of mentality that only a teenager could have.
QuoteHere Johnny, have a paint chip. Tastes yummy!
Why would anyone eat a paint chip?

Because supposedly the lead in them makes them taste sweet.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2009, 10:24:03 AM

If someone were to drink out of a hose every day for years there would likely be some damage since this sort of thing is cummulative but your attitude in this thread (complete with your claim that you actually flush out your garden hose) is either fabricated because you find it amusing to take this position or you are as GF put it a soccer mom and on the extreme edge of that group.

So the answer to my question is that in fact you do flush out the hose, or that it is flushed out anyway?

I love how you come up with all these reason why you don't need to flush out the house - but none of them are because you simply do not think that flushing out the hose is ever necessary. Rather you argue that in fact you do not flush it out because it is already flushed out!

So in the end you agree with me, and are, apparently, just as "freakishly over-protective" as I am.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on April 20, 2009, 09:54:54 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2009, 09:19:36 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 20, 2009, 09:03:25 AM
You dispute that lead in hoses can contain unsafe amounts of lead?

So the studies that have shown that lead can leech into a hose are....what? Bogus? Made up by the hose manufacturers or something?

I would be willing to bet that the CDC would not agree with your assessment that because they mention the three most common ways for people to get high concentrations of lead, those are the only ways.

I dispute that water from hoses poses a significant hazard from children. I don't dispute that it contains lead, that's probable and can come from a variety of sources (lead polluting the aquifers, plumbing, or even leeching from the hose itself), but I'd venture that it doesn't go beyond trace amounts that don't pose serious long term problems. Surely you can get some nastiness from it, but you'd need to drink gallons over a prolonged amount of time in order to develop some kind of problem. Health scares like that are not uncommon.

The CDC disagrees with you.

10-100 times the safe levels is not "trace", by definition.

I agree that overall it is not likely a serious concern, since most people kids are not sitting around sucking down gallons of hose water. But it is a source of lead, and it is worth taking some simple precautions to avoid, like letting the water run out of the hose or simply replacing hoses with ones that do not contain lead.

The 10-100 times the safe levels mention doesn't come from the CDC but by the consumer group you quote, and only refers to the initial draw of water in a few of the analized models. So I stand by my afirmation that it's not a serious concern, as you also state. If you're worried about little children ingesting lead, tap water seems to be a more serious concern.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2009, 10:24:03 AMor you are as GF put it a soccer mom and on the extreme edge of that group.

The freakishly protective mom wouldn't let her children drink from a garden hose. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2009, 10:59:58 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2009, 10:24:03 AMor you are as GF put it a soccer mom and on the extreme edge of that group.

The freakishly protective mom wouldn't let her children drink from a garden hose. :mellow:

You are as bad as Berkut.  Only you are closer in temperament to being a mom.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2009, 11:07:16 AM

How so?

Like I said, I don't see a problem if Berkut has the hose run before letting his kids drink from it. You've said yourself that your kids would likely/in fact do that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2009, 11:09:04 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2009, 11:07:16 AM

How so?

Like I said, I don't see a problem if Berkut has the hose run before letting his kids drink from it. You've said yourself that your kids would likely/in fact do that.

According to the warning he posted earlier "flushing" is different then simply letting the hose run, which it also says you should do.  Which is why I am bugging him about that.  But thanks for joining the thread.

garbon

I've been in the thread for a while, but thanks for being a cunt.

charliebear

Aw c'mon, folks.

It's a new forum, can't we at least pretend to be civil for a few more days?

crazy canuck

Quote from: charliebear on April 20, 2009, 11:28:46 AM
Aw c'mon, folks.

It's a new forum, can't we at least pretend to be civil for a few more days?

And kill Languish.

charliebear

How's this, then.  You "Lead Hose Conspiracists" take your cigars and brandy and adjourn to the smoking room and discuss like gentlemen.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2009, 11:27:29 AM
I've been in the thread for a while,
It's too bad that your bitchiness has become like white noise. :(
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: charliebear on April 20, 2009, 11:35:34 AM
How's this, then.  You "Lead Hose Conspiracists" take your cigars and brandy and adjourn to the smoking room and discuss like gentlemen.

This is how we talk in the smoking room too.

Ed Anger

Quote from: charliebear on April 20, 2009, 11:35:34 AM

How about you go back in the kitchen where you belong and fix everybody a sandwich?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive