What from your childhood would be UNTHINKABLE today?

Started by Malthus, April 15, 2009, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2009, 11:38:17 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 18, 2009, 09:18:06 AM
I wouldn't have thought Berkut would be the one to make a 'think of the children' argument.  Still, nobody is immune to panic over minor things.

The "'think of the children' argument" would be to say that all hoses, except safe ones, should be banned. :contract:
Not at all.  Vastly overstating a danger due to the potential risk to children is what a 'think of the children' argument is.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2009, 04:20:34 AM
I felt the same way when I learned that Yuros vomit uncontrollably at the mere sight of a peanut butter jar.

They...do?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2009, 10:59:04 AM
I felt the same way when I learned that Yuros vomit uncontrollably at the mere sight of a peanut butter jar.

They...do?

I don't. Peanutbutter&nutella sandwich. :mmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 19, 2009, 10:59:04 AM

They...do?
When i was in Portugal it was almost impossible to find. and the ones you could find where the non-homogenised kind.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 19, 2009, 09:29:48 AM
Not at all.  Vastly overstating a danger due to the potential risk to children is what a 'think of the children' argument is.

And then you take steps to try to actively ban said things for everyone. :contract:
Berkut not wanting his own kids to drink out of a hose is hardly problematic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Just thought of this, but back in the early 70s, the ad campaign for Fritos featured an animated character known as the Frito Bandito, who was a stereotypical old-timey Mexican bandit.  No way a campaign like that could last long today--it would draw protests very quickly and get yanked.

garbon

Yes, burger king's recent campaign that had a squat mexican wearing the mexican flag pissed off mexicans.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2009, 09:05:27 AM
- Also in the country, my dad would give us his .22 rifle, tell us to take turns and be careful, and send us out to shoot at tin cans - I was 10 or so.

You have actually fired a weapon?

Maybe there is hope after all for judenkind in North America.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Iormlund

I don't think I've ever seen a peanut butter jar.

Savonarola

Quote from: Siege on April 19, 2009, 08:51:18 PM
You have actually fired a weapon?

Maybe there is hope after all for judenkind in North America.

I took a class in pistol shooting in college.  :)

For my undergraduate degree I went to a backwoods university.  Each of our dorms had its own gun room where students could store their firearms when they weren't using them.  The funny part is that didn't strike me as unusual at the time; only much later did I learn that most universities do not encourage students to bring firearms to school.

For my graduate degree I went urban college in Detroit.  A gun room there would have been completely unnecessary since student kept their piece on them at all times.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

katmai

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2009, 10:01:36 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on April 19, 2009, 08:53:17 PM
You dodged a bullet.:cheers:

I wanna know what happen to Apple Jelly, i can't find it anymore.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on April 19, 2009, 08:53:17 PM

I can get it in my supermarket, have on at home, as a matter of fact.

Edit: Berkut, that lead in the hose water thingy sounds phony as hell.