What from your childhood would be UNTHINKABLE today?

Started by Malthus, April 15, 2009, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Who said I *didn't* watch Showtime? :shifty:

They ran this horribly cheesy softcore called "Blue Movies" like every night at 2 am.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Speaking of old timey TV, I remember the the day the family got a VCR. IT WAS LIKE A WHOLE NEW WORLD OPENED UP FOR ME.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2009, 07:02:43 AM
Speaking of old timey TV, I remember the the day the family got a VCR. IT WAS LIKE A WHOLE NEW WORLD OPENED UP FOR ME.

We were late to the game, it wasn't till like 1986 for xmas.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Brazen

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2009, 06:51:25 AM
Quote from: Brazen on April 17, 2009, 06:48:08 AM
Only three TV stations which stopped broadcasting about 11pm and for a large chunk of the daytime. Test card FTW.

:D

For me, it was CBS, NBC, ABC, a UHF station(maybe) and a PBS station. When cable came, it BLEW MY MIND.
I would hear about friends who came back from the States boasting of 200 TV channels and one dedicated entirely to music! That broadcast all night! :mmm:

Caliga

Quote from: Brazen on April 17, 2009, 07:04:49 AMI would hear about friends who came back from the States boasting of 200 TV channels and one dedicated entirely to music! That broadcast all night! :mmm:

Brazen wanted her MTV ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Camper on April 17, 2009, 12:35:47 AM
Quote from: Mikael Hakim on April 15, 2009, 09:23:28 AM
Wow, being a kid these days in North America sucks :(

Especially if you suck up to the prevailing orthodoxy.

Hey, a Camper sighting!

What's up?  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

This is a pretty amusing iteration of the crotchety old man bitching about how everything was better when they were kids meme...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2009, 08:51:01 AM
This is a pretty amusing iteration of the crotchety old man bitching about how everything was better when they were kids meme...

Heh, I'm not really sure everything was "better". Some of the stuff we did strikes me as moronically unsafe in hindsight, even at the time I wondered if it was really a good idea to go bouncing down the highway in the back of my dad's pickup truck.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

Grumbler used to spar with the older legionnaires when the returned from campaigning against the Gauls - nobody cared about a young boy swinging around a gladius or throwing a practice pila.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on April 17, 2009, 08:53:56 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2009, 08:51:01 AM

Heh, I'm not really sure everything was "better". Some of the stuff we did strikes me as moronically unsafe in hindsight, even at the time I wondered if it was really a good idea to go bouncing down the highway in the back of my dad's pickup truck.

Oh, I agree - in fact, I don't think everything was better at all, and I suspect the vast majority of things that people today think are "over-protective" are actually not.

Look at the water hose thing everyone laughs off. Drinking water from a water hose that is unsafe can literally have 100 times the amount of lead considered dangerous in it. If the hose just sits on the ground full of water for a week, a really alarming amount of lead leeches into it.

Hell, my hoses have been sitting in my garage all winter, full of the same water that was left in them 6 months ago when I brought them in. I wonder how much lead is in that water?

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Berkut, normally you would run the water for a while to let it get cold before drinking.  Most of us wouldnt suck the stuck out. :D

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2009, 11:02:00 AM
Berkut, normally you would run the water for a while to let it get cold before drinking.  Most of us wouldnt suck the stuck out. :D

True, although you are still risking elevated amounts of lead. It isn't like there is some ok amount of lead.

The other concern with standing water is using it to fill up a kiddie pool, for example. Not at all unusual to toss the hose into the pool before turning it on.

0 rows returned

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on April 17, 2009, 06:48:08 AM
Only three TV stations which stopped broadcasting about 11pm and for a large chunk of the daytime. Test card FTW.

:yes:

I watched "school tv" on the third (i.e. regional) program during pre-school, because nothing else was on. My favorite shows included "German for Foreigners" and "Tele College Chemistry", even though I didn't understand anything of the latter.

I also recall staying up sneakingly till end of broadcast - they'd show a German flag flying in the wind, played the anthem, and then switched to static, or as we called it, ant football.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Given that people have been doing this for generations, is there any study that links hose use with adverse results in any way?

I read your other post about proper hose use but really, do you know anyone that "flushes" their hose before using it?