What from your childhood would be UNTHINKABLE today?

Started by Malthus, April 15, 2009, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on April 15, 2009, 06:45:29 PM
Kevin Costner winning an Oscar.
For that matter, any popular movie winning an Oscar.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 05:09:33 PM

It was short lived though as their dog (half wolf, half german shepard) would try to attack anyone that pointed fake guns at them.

Tell us more.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quite a few things, though I think more lamentable it the great outdoors isn't available, 'unsupervised' , for many children; somewhere they can experiment/do all sorts of not necessarily useful stuff.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Quote from: Malthus on April 15, 2009, 09:05:27 AM
Having a kid of my own, I'm just getting used to the "modern" standards of what is appropriate and what is not - and how very different they are from when I was a kid.

For example:

- I walked home from school from at least when I was 6 or so. Today, parents would be called up by child social services if they tried than.

- After dinner, we kids were sent out to play in the neighbourhood - often on our bikes (no helmets of course). We were told to come back when it got dark.

In my neck of the woods those two points are standard practice.  :huh: :blush:

I suppose the casual use of firearms, mildly drunk babysitters, determined non-use of bicyle helmets and shocking experimentation with empty rifle cartridges and fireworks powder will be the most urgent pleasures of my childhood denied to my sons as they grow up.  :cry:  :lol:

Plus, sheep and raspberry theft will be right out as well.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Pedrito

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 11:55:29 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 15, 2009, 07:32:27 PM
Tell us more.

They named it Rex.

:lol:  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that kind of dog is called Czech Shepard, it's way bigger and more slender than a german shepard and the hair colour is grey, with some darker shades.
A friend of mine had one of those dogs, but was forced to put it to sleep because it got more and more aggressive, even with family members  :(

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Martinus

Quote from: Pedrito on April 16, 2009, 02:24:05 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 11:55:29 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 15, 2009, 07:32:27 PM
Tell us more.

They named it Rex.

:lol:  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that kind of dog is called Czech Shepard, it's way bigger and more slender than a german shepard and the hair colour is grey, with some darker shades.
A friend of mine had one of those dogs, but was forced to put it to sleep because it got more and more aggressive, even with family members  :(

L.
They call it a Czech Shepard because you think it's a German Shepard until you check and discover it's a mongrel.

I kill me. :P

Pedrito

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 04:20:12 AM
They call it a Czech Shepard because you think it's a German Shepard until you check and discover it's a mongrel.

WTF  :lmfao:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Caliga

Quote from: mongers on April 15, 2009, 08:09:55 PM
Quite a few things, though I think more lamentable it the great outdoors isn't available, 'unsupervised' , for many children; somewhere they can experiment/do all sorts of not necessarily useful stuff.

That's one of the reasons I'm REALLY glad I moved here... probably half of the state of Kentucky is quasi-wilderness.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 04:20:12 AM

You are on fire today.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on April 15, 2009, 06:22:06 PM
And that's the thing.  Even if you think you're smart, you're still vulnerable to the mass hysteria that the media peddles, down in your deep psychology.

Frankly, I worry more about the kid not looking and running into the street than child abduction - and from what I've seen, this is hardly a "hysterical" concern.

I don't know but I'm willing to bet that for every kid that gets abducted by strangers, at least 100 get hit by cars.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 15, 2009, 06:57:38 PM
:menace: Good job, groom him for the armed forces.  :cool:

The Canadian Armed forces?  It would be sad when his American allies accidentally shoot down his helicopter :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 08:10:31 AMThe Canadian Armed forces?  It would be sad when his American allies accidentally shoot down his helicopter :(

It should be noted that a former Princess Patty holds the current world record for longest sniper shot. ^_^

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 08:32:50 AM
It should be noted that a former Princess Patty holds the current world record for longest sniper shot. ^_^

Given the history of American friendly fire tragedies, we have learned to fire from further back.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2009, 11:03:50 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 08:32:50 AM

Given the history of American friendly fire tragedies, we have learned to fire from further back.

We're just prepping you guys for an easy invasion.

OBAMA: "That BLU-82 that just got dropped on Canadian Parliament?  LOL FRIENDLY FIRE SORRY GUYZ"