News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The power of genetic diversity

Started by Slargos, April 25, 2011, 03:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

DG- now you are talking about something very different.

There is no question that racial categories have meaning - but their meaning is one that is generated as an artifact of human associative interaction, not a reflection of some underlying scientific reality.  Becuase racial categories are socially constructed, it is trivial to say that such categories may be related is some way to other social constructions like "socioeconomic class".  Nor is it particularly suprising that such categorization can therefore be correlated to certain social outcomes like income, health and life prospects.

That is wholly separate from the earlier question you posed, which is the relation of such categories to matters of objective scientific interest, such as genetic matching.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

It's apparently Ohio state law that all newborns be blood-tested for sickle cell.  They had to draw some blood from my baby girl's foot a couple weeks ago & I asked if we could just skip it.  The nurse rolled her eyes & said she wished they could since the hospital had never had a test come back positive at this hospital (it's located in my township which is like 98% white).  She did say they did have several that did come back positive when she worked at University hospital downtown.

So my poor little girl had to have her foot poked for no reason :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 28, 2011, 11:27:41 AM
The problem DG is that traditional racial categories usually don't serve a very good proxies for the kind of genetic matching you are referring to.  That is because the construction of racial categories preceded the science of genetics and was done for very different purposes.

My favorite is Hispanic, because you can be white and brown at the same time.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 28, 2011, 11:46:04 AM
DG- now you are talking about something very different.

There is no question that racial categories have meaning - but their meaning is one that is generated as an artifact of human associative interaction, not a reflection of some underlying scientific reality.  Becuase racial categories are socially constructed, it is trivial to say that such categories may be related is some way to other social constructions like "socioeconomic class".  Nor is it particularly suprising that such categorization can therefore be correlated to certain social outcomes like income, health and life prospects.

That is wholly separate from the earlier question you posed, which is the relation of such categories to matters of objective scientific interest, such as genetic matching.
Anyway, I did not mean my hypothetical example to be about kidney transplants.  I meant it to be an example about proxy variables and their utility, and I deliberately tried to remove any other distraction from the example.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2011, 12:51:17 PM
Anyway, I did not mean my hypothetical example to be about kidney transplants.  I meant it to be an example about proxy variables and their utility, and I deliberately tried to remove any other distraction from the example.
I don't think anyone is doubting the value of proxy variables.  I don't think anyone did before you provided an example, but I think if anyone did doubt the value of proxy variables they have been convinced.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Yeah, I think we only start having problems when people take useful proxy variables and use them to prop up "racial truths" a la Slargos and Martinus.

Razgovory

I doubt the value of proxy variables.

Also, I don't know what a proxy variable is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 28, 2011, 10:23:50 AM
"Caucasian" is definitely my favorite racial categorization.  Nothing like using the name of a Central Asian mountain range to categorize a bunch of otherwise totally unrelated human beings.

It could be worse. Like Carpathian. Or Alpine. Oh. Wait. Someone tried those.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2011, 01:16:27 PM
Yeah, I think we only start having problems when people take useful proxy variables and use them to prop up "racial truths" a la Slargos and Martinus.

All Swedes and Poles think like that. It's genetic.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2011, 01:17:16 PM
Also, I don't know what a proxy variable is.

One of the various factors that can be considered when deciding which corporate directors to vote for.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2011, 12:51:17 PM

the utility of proxy variables is in direct proportion to the degree of their relation or connection to that which they are proxying for, but you already knew that.

If the thing one is attempting to proxy for is some sort of genetic characteristic, then traditional racial categories can be problematic because their connection to genetic characteristics is typically very loose at best and accidental. (not surprising given that, as stated before, these categorizations preceded any clear understanding of genetics).  To take derspeiss' example, if one wants to proxy for risk of sickle cell anemia, then what one might want to look for is the extent to which one descends from persons who lived in tropical areas at high risk of malaria.  Traditional racial categories like "Black" are rather suboptimal for that purpose, as they are simultaneously overinclusive (many "Blacks" do not trace descent to such locations and at are low risk) and underinclusive (e.g. failure to include certain persons tracing descent from persons living in certain South Asian locales who are at high risk).

If the thing one is attempting to proxy for is some sort of social phenonomenon, then traditional racial categories may appear to be more useful at proxies, but probably only because some kind of circular relationship is at work.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 28, 2011, 10:23:50 AM
"Caucasian" is definitely my favorite racial categorization.  Nothing like using the name of a Central Asian mountain range to categorize a bunch of otherwise totally unrelated human beings.

Sometimes, it's even used in French  :yuk:
Btw, since when The Caucasus is a Central Asian mountain range ?  :contract:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 28, 2011, 03:29:31 PM

Ever since it's been east of Asia Minor and the Levant and west of China.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 28, 2011, 03:42:22 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 28, 2011, 03:29:31 PM

Ever since it's been east of Asia Minor and the Levant and west of China.

Then why is it considered one of the borders of Europe ?
Actually, more like to the North East of Asia Minor and the Levant i.e the Near East
Does the status of Turkey vs Europe change as well?

garbon

Seems pointless to argue about the borders of Europe and Asia.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.