News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The power of genetic diversity

Started by Slargos, April 25, 2011, 03:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

:lol: We just covered HLA typing in immunology. I don't know if grumbler could pass the exam if he insisted a given major histocompatibility complex allele is not associated with a particular race.

LaCroix

nigerians have the same allele as cdm's dazzling urbanites?

grumbler

Quote from: Fate on April 26, 2011, 04:36:11 PM
:lol: We just covered HLA typing in immunology. I don't know if grumbler could pass the exam if he insisted a given major histocompatibility complex allele is not associated with a particular race.
If you want to claim that races exist, then all you have to do is tell us h9w many races there are, define them, and tell us how to reliably distinguish between them. If the reliable indicator is HLA types, then why do we say "race" instead of the more accurate (and logically justifiable) "HLA type."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2011, 09:05:43 AM
If you want to claim that races exist, then all you have to do is tell us h9w many races there are, define them, and tell us how to reliably distinguish between them. If the reliable indicator is HLA types, then why do we say "race" instead of the more accurate (and logically justifiable) "HLA type."

Logically, knowing that there are at the very least two (Humans, grumblers) it follows that it's likely there are more. We just need to define them. I'm curious about the recent research into skull size and shape, which I think might be the break through we're looking for.

The Brain

Once you've stated something ridiculous on Languish you are supposed to defend it forever, no matter how retarded it makes you look.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Quote from: The Brain on April 27, 2011, 09:11:03 AM
Once you've stated something ridiculous on Languish you are supposed to defend it forever, no matter how retarded it makes you look.

The motivation for your irrational defense of the evils of the atom is made apparent.  :hmm:

The Brain

If you want to claim that races exist, then all you have to do is tell us h9w many races there are, define them, and tell us how to reliably distinguish between them.

Do spoons exist? What about grains of sand? Stars?

The Brain

Quote from: Slargos on April 27, 2011, 09:13:10 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 27, 2011, 09:11:03 AM

The motivation for your irrational defense of the evils of the atom is made apparent.  :hmm:

Fusion bombs don't kill people.

Ideologue

Quote from: Slargos on April 25, 2011, 03:32:31 AM
Or not.  :lol:

http://mixedandhappy.com/2011/03/05/looking-for-mixed-race-donors-because-her-life-depends-on-it/

So what?  If you can show me that acute lukemia is more common in Asian-Europeans, then you might have a point.  Even taking the blog entry on its face doesn't prove what you want to prove.

It's like saying Superman is limited in his options for organ donors.  It's true, but it doesn't signify anything beyond the fact that he'd better hope Kara Zor-El is willing to give up a Kryptonian kidney.

But if you really want to take completely artificial problems and misunderstand them so thoroughly that you believe they represent genetic fitness, then you should maybe look into how white people tend to get really fucking fat.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

Quote from: Ideologue on April 27, 2011, 09:35:45 AM
Quote from: Slargos on April 25, 2011, 03:32:31 AM
Or not.  :lol:

http://mixedandhappy.com/2011/03/05/looking-for-mixed-race-donors-because-her-life-depends-on-it/

So what?  If you can show me that acute lukemia is more common in Asian-Europeans, then you might have a point.  Even taking the blog entry on its face doesn't prove what you want to prove.

It's like saying Superman is limited in his options for organ donors.  It's true, but it doesn't signify anything beyond the fact that he'd better hope Kara Zor-El is willing to give up a Kryptonian kidney.

But if you really want to take completely artificial problems and misunderstand them so thoroughly that you believe they represent genetic fitness, then you should maybe look into how white people tend to get really fucking fat.

:lol:

Right.

Pat

Not to brag or anything... ;)

Quote from: Pat on May 19, 2009, 06:56:43 AM
There were most likely quite some cross-breeding between neanderthals and humans. People are known to fuck anything with a hole, including many of our four-legged friends, so why not something with two legs that is actually quite similar to us, narcissism of the small differences aside?

As for whether they would produce fertile offspring, I don't see any reason why not. Anyway as soon as we have mapped the neanderthal genome, which is in the making, we will simply compare their genome to ours and we will know if there are neanderthal genes among the humans who spread out of Africa. [...]

It has since been proven by the eminent Svante Pääbo that the humans who spread out of Africa do indeed have lots of neanderthal DNA and are quite different from those who did not spread out of Africa (and interbred with neanderthals).

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8660940.stm

"Between 1% and 4% of the Eurasian human genome seems to come from Neanderthals."

LaCroix

i would hope you're not bragging about looking at a migratory pattern of a group, the existence of a similar species to that group in its direct path, and making the connection that maybe something happened there  ;)

The Minsky Moment

The argument is solid but the response suffers from a fatal defect: failure to consider the name on the post responded to.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 27, 2011, 11:10:28 AM

The argument is solid but the response suffers from a fatal defect: failure to consider the name on the post responded to.

Grumbler is a rebel and doesn't need to follow the rules he created himself.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on April 27, 2011, 09:14:16 AM
Do spoons exist? What about grains of sand? Stars?
Yep.  So do people.  Do magic spoons exist?  How about invisible grains of sand?  Intelligent stars?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!