News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on April 22, 2016, 10:47:41 AM
I think if I played Legacy, I'd almost certainly try to figure out a way to avoid destroying/modifying anything permanently.  Maybe just write down a bunch of reminder notes or something.  I couldn't bring myself to actually mar the game.

You can do that easily, imho - at least for what we've seen so far. They could have got away with counters and record sheets instead of permanent stickers (and you could just put away "destroyed" components), but modifying/destroying components is part of the novelty.

In my opinion, it's not a game that can be played twice anyway. Part of the challenge (and excitement) is not knowing what's coming and thus not being able to plan ahead and optimize.

Delirium

Bought Star Wars: Rebellion and played it with a 4-player group and we were really, really impressed. It worked great with 4 players: planning the missions with a partner was a good way to share the blame when something goes wrong.

There are specific rules for multiplayer games that a, assign each player on a team certain duties (general-admiral) and b, alters the play sequence into: Rebel#1 - Imp#1 - Imp #2 - Rebel#2. We used the first part but not the second (the double-move effect seemed to change the game and add more needed planning).

My advice is to get the game, mostly because it has the feel of the old Star Wars movies and (after one play) works great as a game.  :bowler:
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

:yes:  I've played four times thus far and am enjoying it more and more as I figure out strategies for both sides.  Highly recommended.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

The only thing that annoys me is the humongous size box. Does it have to a foot deep?
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Habbaku

:D  I have no idea why they went with that.  Maybe to accommodate an expansion that's sure to be in the works?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Anyone tried Time Stories? (possibly this is the wrong crowd...)

I have heard extremely different reviews of it.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Haven't played it firsthand, but I am not particularly enamored of it.  Having watched the Shut Up and Sit Down review, I was turned off pretty heavily.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

So you guys have moved on to movie franchise Euros?  How counter-culture.

Delirium

When you buy a game purely for sentimental reasons and then discover that it actually has quality, it is a rare and enjoyable experience.

In other news, I have played these games lately:

Ardennes '44, teams, 3 v 3.
Good experience, but one of the allies collapsed so called the game turn 8 with a German win.

Napoleon's Last Gamble
Kevin Zucker "grand tactical"...I really like this system, simple rules and a lot of fog of war. Only problem is that solitaire capacity is lousy.

La Bataille
On the one hand I like the level here, batallions surging forward, then back. Downside is at least four different rulesets and heated debates over which rules actually work best to which games.

11B4V

Got the heads up from MMP Last Blitzkrieg is packing.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 01, 2016, 12:30:59 AM
Got the heads up from MMP Last Blitzkrieg is packing.

Looks like it's going to be low counter density for maps their size.  Definitely follows the MMP penchant of developing games where there wasn't a marker counter they didn't like.

And yes, I posted wrote that to let you know I already got my copy.  :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

I can't really recommend it.  The game might as well be "Pleasant Stroll And Meeting New Friends".  The number of choices is rather limited and the game doesn't really provide much of a narrative, either.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Wir Sind Das Volk arrived today.  Looking forward to spreading capitalism to the glorious masses.

-J. R. R. Tolkien