And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

How mainstream of you, Habb.  I yam:  a bit disappointed.  :yeahright:

Habbaku

:lol:  It's a legit wargame, despite the IP.  I still push plenty of rifle brigades around.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

How big a tables space does it require?

celedhring

What about 2+ player suitability? That's what's stopping me from heading out to the store to buy it right now. It supposedly accepts more than 2 players, but some reviews I have read seem a bit iffy about it.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on April 09, 2016, 02:53:53 AM
How big a tables space does it require?

It's a double-mapper, about the same size as War of the Ring.  You'll need something fairly big.

Quote from: celedhring on April 09, 2016, 10:32:03 AM
What about 2+ player suitability? That's what's stopping me from heading out to the store to buy it right now. It supposedly accepts more than 2 players, but some reviews I have read seem a bit iffy about it.

While playing with 3 or 4 is supported by the rules, I think that segment is tacked on.  It's a two-player wargame, and having a "team" play one side or the other or both is just giving some duties of a single player to a second player without gaining much.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on April 09, 2016, 11:34:41 AM
While playing with 3 or 4 is supported by the rules, I think that segment is tacked on.  It's a two-player wargame, and having a "team" play one side or the other or both is just giving some duties of a single player to a second player without gaining much.

Yeah, I feared as much. I don't get to play many 2-player games since we are 4 in my playing group. I guess I'll end up buying it to just look at the pretty figures and tokens though :D

Habbaku

Shame about that.  I'll try to remember to post some recommendations for good 4-player stuff later if you like.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Sure. Between us 4 we own loads of stuff, but we are always on the lookout for cool games.

celedhring

Woah, boardgamegeek has a wholly redesigned site. I can't cope with change.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on April 21, 2016, 09:02:14 AM
Woah, boardgamegeek has a wholly redesigned site. I can't cope with change.

I'm with you.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Stupid MySpacebook interface for Generation Assburger.

Habbaku

The new BGG layout is awful.  :(

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

One of the theories is that they're revamping it social media-style to prep for sale.

celedhring

Playing Pandemic Legacy. We're just getting started in the campaign (3rd mission out of 12), but it's certainly an interesting concept. Ripping cards almost physically hurt  :ph34r:

Intrigued to see where it goes, I heard that there's a bunch of twists along the way.

Habbaku

I think if I played Legacy, I'd almost certainly try to figure out a way to avoid destroying/modifying anything permanently.  Maybe just write down a bunch of reminder notes or something.  I couldn't bring myself to actually mar the game.

-J. R. R. Tolkien