News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2016, 08:26:27 PM
Ed prefers the Med, where he can pretend he's Monty and beat up on dago wops.

It's the only time he can wear a beret and knee-high cheerleader socks with little pom poms on them and not get his ass kicked.

Right then.  :bowler: Carry on.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2016, 08:26:27 PM
Ed prefers the Med, where he can pretend he's Monty and beat up on dago wops.

It's the only time he can wear a beret and knee-high cheerleader socks with little pom poms on them and not get his ass kicked.

:mmm:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

"I want to be spanked HEYAH and over HEYAH."

Kleves

Any good strategic-level Civil War games come out recently? I've never managed to find one that I've really liked.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tamas

The US Civil War from GMT is more operational than strategic I guess but it's pretty awesome

PDH

If it doesn't have retard camps for Banks, Butler, Fremont and Burnside then it isn't good.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: Kleves on April 02, 2016, 04:49:03 PM
Any good strategic-level Civil War games come out recently? I've never managed to find one that I've really liked.

Any one in particular?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: PDH on April 02, 2016, 05:30:33 PM
If it doesn't have retard camps for Banks, Butler, Fremont and Burnside then it isn't good.

It doesn't let you form uber divisions, so I would PBEM it with you :P

Tamas

I have decided to sell my copy of The Burning Blue.

It is absolutely gorgeous and very interesting but I could never get an opponent for it and it seems totally unsoloable.

I will have you fine gentlemen have first dibs on it, for 60 pounds plus shipping. I can get you some photos of it if you like. It has never been played, counters are neatly ziplocked. There is the slightest bend on the box at one of the corners, otherwise it is as if new.

Habbaku

Latest addition to the collection (no, not the cat):

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

First impressions Habbu? I saw your post on FB about session with Palpentine overthrown.
Thinking of grabbing it before going back to work as group of us have been jonesing for something to play on our weekends.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Habbaku

I am very impressed, thus far.  Only one solo game and another full, two-player session clocked right now, but I think it will hold up, long-term.

Would highly recommend it, but allot around 4 hours for your first session.  My local opponents will be able to reduce that to around 2-3 hours now that we've got all our niggling rules questions settled, though.

I am really pleased with the decision trees in the game.  Basically, everyone gets an allotment of leaders to use every turn, with the pool growing by one each for the first several turns until they cap out (so the leader pool is semi-random each game--some will not see Luke or General Veers appear, for instance).  Each leader is then used for one of three purposes: missions, troop activation, or counter-missions.  So, if you send someone on a mission, you won't have them available to invade, say, Tattooine with your Stormtrooper legion.

The mission deck is semi-randomized as well, with each side getting a fixed pool of missions, but also drawing a random assortment.  Since that and the leaders are both mixed each game, you have to be flexible in play-style, else they won't be prepared to take advantage of the opportunities that the missions deck presents.  All this variety seems to provide a significant amount of replay value, but that'll take a few more games to assess.

I think the balance is pretty even, perhaps with a slight tilt to the Empire at the moment since the Rebels can get screwed by a lucky guess on where their starting Base is, however.

-J. R. R. Tolkien