News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 29, 2014, 01:21:23 PM

And whatever happened to the Herman/Berg "it'll have more leaders than you thought were even in the Civil War" divisional-level monster ACW collaboration that was hinted to years ago, anyway?

I think it eventually morphed into a one-map army-level game designed by a committee of people you never heard of and published in a wargame magazine.  But that might have been a different game proposal.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 29, 2014, 07:17:56 PM
I enjoyed the recent bitch session on Consimworld about Berg.  :)

The only thing more fun than Bitching About Berg on CSW is Boardgamegeek Bitching About CSW.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: frunk on June 19, 2014, 09:51:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2014, 08:58:41 AM
Sooo, I am kind of looking for a decent 2 players game to serve as an intro to boardgames for the girlfriend... Something with a decent theme, so more than a Knizia game, but also a non-war one.
I have bought Carcassone here from home the last time I visited the parents but I just cannot make myself to teach that to her. She would be able, and probably interested, to handle much more complex and interesting ones, so why show that boardgame is for little kids?

Jambo - Two player merchant trading game.
Blue Moon: Legends - Blue Moon the card game rereleased as a single package with all the cards.  Great art, even better game.  Also serves as an introduction to deck building, with simple and restrictive deck building rules.  There are pre-constructed in the box so you don't have to start with deck building.
San Juan - I don't particularly like this game, I prefer either playing Puerto Rico or Race for the Galaxy.  However this is an easy introduction to the systems that are used in both.
Phoenicia - The only good two player auction game.
Attika - My favorite two player, but probably less theme than you were hoping for.
Roll through the Ages: The Bronze Age - Simple dice game.

I am still looking into these suggestions (WTB reasonably priced Jambo copy), but I did end up playing Carcassone with her.  :D The game is actually not as lame as I remembered, and she liked it.

Also, as it turns out, she liked the computer game Lords of the Realm (not sure if 1 or 2) as a kid so much she kept playing the time-limited shareware/demo version of it.
Any ideas on a game that has a similar theme (as in managing your land and whatnot) Agricola is one, I suppose. And I have read up on Castles of Burgundy, might pull the trigger on that one but it is said to be extremely abstracted with the theme having nothing to do with mechanics, and I hate that in games.

frunk

Castles of Burgundy is indeed extremely abstracted.  If that bugs you stay very far away.

Two possibilities for build/manage:

Terra Mystica - I haven't played this two player, but from reading on BGG it appears to work ok if not great.  Might be pushing the complexity envelope, but it is a hell of a fun game.
Suburbia - Pretty easy turn structure (buy a tile, place it, resolve) but you do build and manage your suburb.  Works quite well with 2.

Tamas

hah, San Juan seems universally out of stock around here, I could buy a copy for like 150 pounds. Instead, I managed to snatch what is probably the last new copy of the game in Hungary, as far as online stores are concerned, for the equivalent of cca. 20 pounds. Thank you, weak Hungarian money! Will have it shipped to parents and pick it up in a week.
And if we don't like it, I will sell it for a 100.  :cool:

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on July 01, 2014, 11:51:00 AM
hah, San Juan seems universally out of stock around here, I could buy a copy for like 150 pounds. Instead, I managed to snatch what is probably the last new copy of the game in Hungary, as far as online stores are concerned, for the equivalent of cca. 20 pounds. Thank you, weak Hungarian money! Will have it shipped to parents and pick it up in a week.
And if we don't like it, I will sell it for a 100.  :cool:

Jewpsy.

CountDeMoney

All this talk of German games is making me feel all Auschwitzy.

Ed Anger

I bought a X-wing minatures core set to play with the kids. I figure age 6 is a good age to get them started.

Then I noticed the rule book was 28 pages. Whoops. :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 04, 2014, 05:24:03 PM
I bought a X-wing minatures core set to play with the kids. I figure age 6 is a good age to get them started.

Then I noticed the rule book was 28 pages. Whoops. :lol:

Grumbler invented chess when he was six.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Habbaku

Taking my first real dip into the Musket and Pike Battle Series later today with This Accursed Civil War.  My Parliamentarians are already shaken from Rupert's approach, I think.

Saints in Armor should be here tomorrow or maybe even today.

On the Euro-ish side of things, I traded for a copy of Space Cadets, which is goofy fun.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on July 07, 2014, 01:58:26 PM
Taking my first real dip into the Musket and Pike Battle Series later today with This Accursed Civil War.  My Parliamentarians are already shaken from Rupert's approach, I think.

I dunno, those titles always seemed to strike me as more interesting as miniatures.

Habbaku

Whether the system would work well with miniatures or not, I cannot say, but I can at least say that I had a lot of fun playing the little Edgehill scenario.  I think we're going to tackle something from the mainland next time--I'm thinking Swedes.  :adolphus:  :uffda:

-J. R. R. Tolkien