Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: 11B4V on June 10, 2014, 03:53:09 PM
Quote from: Maladict on May 09, 2014, 05:47:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 03, 2014, 09:09:10 AM
GMT SALE

Broke down and bought The Dark Valley.

I have been reading the rules online til my copy comes in from Amazon tomorrow. Gotta love Amazon prime.

Be careful when handling the map, it's pretty flimsy.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

I like Legion productions;  good quality, interesting topics.  Berkut would appreciate the notable absence of pastel-colored cardboard player aids.

Tamas

Sooo, I am kind of looking for a decent 2 players game to serve as an intro to boardgames for the girlfriend... Something with a decent theme, so more than a Knizia game, but also a non-war one.
I have bought Carcassone here from home the last time I visited the parents but I just cannot make myself to teach that to her. She would be able, and probably interested, to handle much more complex and interesting ones, so why show that boardgame is for little kids?

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2014, 08:58:41 AM
Sooo, I am kind of looking for a decent 2 players game to serve as an intro to boardgames for the girlfriend... Something with a decent theme, so more than a Knizia game, but also a non-war one.
I have bought Carcassone here from home the last time I visited the parents but I just cannot make myself to teach that to her. She would be able, and probably interested, to handle much more complex and interesting ones, so why show that boardgame is for little kids?

Jambo - Two player merchant trading game.
Blue Moon: Legends - Blue Moon the card game rereleased as a single package with all the cards.  Great art, even better game.  Also serves as an introduction to deck building, with simple and restrictive deck building rules.  There are pre-constructed in the box so you don't have to start with deck building.
San Juan - I don't particularly like this game, I prefer either playing Puerto Rico or Race for the Galaxy.  However this is an easy introduction to the systems that are used in both.
Phoenicia - The only good two player auction game.
Attika - My favorite two player, but probably less theme than you were hoping for.
Roll through the Ages: The Bronze Age - Simple dice game.

Tamas

Syt

Arkham Horror. Might be an easy sell because it's co-op.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 19, 2014, 10:28:00 AM
Arkham Horror. Might be an easy sell because it's co-op.

Good idea, I could grab it from Hungary eventually, but I have come to be disillusioned of the game. Plus I think she already had that introduced to her and she only have vague memories, so not a great success I guess. :D

Syt

Then Last Night on Earth. Fast paced, easy to learn, and very playable with 2 to 6 people.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Dungeon Quest? It's based on Swedish game Drakborgen, which was completely awesome.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2014, 10:58:51 AM
Dungeon Quest?

That was a really fun game.

Speaking of Talisman, the Steam version updated today ... :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Dungeon Quest: I have it back home: it is awesome. Turn 1, draw a trap card. Be sliced into two pieces, game over.

It's for later times though, place is a bit of an issue

Talisman on PC: I couldn't hold up longer than a few days ago.  :Embarrass: It's a bit boring to be honest.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2014, 11:04:56 AM
Dungeon Quest: I have it back home: it is awesome. Turn 1, draw a trap card. Be sliced into two pieces, game over.

IIRC the Swedish designer's notes said that you had about a 15% chance to get into the central chamber and get out alive.

The "ooh-I-found-a-necklace-2-tiles-in-and-now-I-back-out-and-hope-everyone-else-dies" tactic was hilarious.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2014, 08:58:41 AM

Chess